Bench dogs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmund

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm just in the process of finishing my MkI workbench and am pondering what to do about some bench dogs. What are peoples views on this, i.e. wooden or metal, make them yourself (wood) or buy them, round or square? Would also appreciate thoughts on the best way to cut the dog holes - should they be tapered??

Thanks, E

I made my bench using 4" thick redwood and found 3/4" dia aluminium dogs to be ideal. They are very easy to position and install with just a 3/4" dia auger bit required. I got mine from Axminster, about £7 a pair.

Mark H

edmund":2z70qqsz said:
What are peoples views on this, i.e. wooden or metal, make them yourself (wood) or buy them, round or square?
Ah, a requirement for an opinion. I can do that. :D I favour wooden for two reasons. One, I'm a woodworker and therefore I can make them myself, special ones for certain tasks etc. Secondly, it's not unknown for my planes to get over-friendly with the dogs and attempt to take a shaving from them. On the whole I'd sooner they didn't try to cut metal 'cos they'd come off worse. :( Thirdly (okay, so I lied at the beginning) they're cheaper and I'm a cheapskate. :wink: Mine are square 'cos that's what shape the holes are, but there are arguments for and against both.

edmund":2z70qqsz said:
Would also appreciate thoughts on the best way to cut the dog holes - should they be tapered??
Either that or you need to make the faces of your dogs taper a little.

Cheers, Alf

Ed
Make your own-wood is pretty friendly to your tools and plenty strong enough! I made mine from ash off-cuts.
I'd make sure the dog holes lean towards the end vice slightly-they then "self-tighten" and pull down as you tighten the tail vice.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

I think wooden ones are the way to go - I can foresee lots of dinking my tools otherwise :) . I like the idea of the Wonder Pups. I don't have a tail vice so they look useful for rear end clamping pressure.

As to the height of the bench dogs, are they supposed to be above or below the surface of the board you are planing, for example?? Or is there no hard and fast rule?

Thanks, E

Thanks Philly. I guessed as much :oops: but had to ask! (If they're below the surface of the board to be planed surely it's then impossible to remodel your plane iron :D )

edmund":34zj34d5 said:
(If they're below the surface of the board to be planed surely it's then impossible to remodel your plane iron :D )
Yes, that's what everybody thinks before it happens to them... :roll: :lol:

Never use them myself :-k Not sure why . I normally use a speed clamp that gets in the way most of the time . Think ill make a few bench dogs tomorrow :lol: Square ones .

Latest posts

Back