Bench Dog System

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve355

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I set out to make a dogging system on the cheap. Having had no luck in the local car park, I bought an old clamp on eBay and set about modifying my bench to incorporate it - which had gone well. Problem is, when I tighten the dog against the workpiece, whatever I do it seems to ride up and release the work. It’s simple physics, fulcrums and force etc.

How do the proper ones work? do they have an anchor inside the bench to stop this happening?

Advice gratefully received!

T
7E392586-28C5-4776-972B-99D417F8992D.jpeg
6C7A64DC-53C4-4D10-86DA-0DD62AAA24CD.jpeg
2B15C639-83C3-4F64-B879-DBDB3A34824E.jpeg
hanks
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the dog just a rectangular block of wood in a hole, or is it a t shaped piece running in a track of sorts?

from what I've seen in the papers all the doggers were at a big outdoor party in the midlands....
so perhaps try the car park next week....lol...

incidentally is there another language like ours that u can have an added meaning....?
def not the Frogs or the Germans as they have no sence of humor...hahaha...

sorry,
ment to have said that the screw thread should have been in a whole at the loose end...
the actual dog I would guess needs to be threaded...at least for heavy work.....

Is the dog just a rectangular block of wood in a hole, or is it a t shaped piece running in a track of sorts?

its a rectangular block of wood with a hole drilled in it stuck on the end of the clamp shaft. No track,

I am thinking there is too much play in the hole, or as you suggest it needs some kind of track to keep it vertical

sorry,
ment to have said that the screw thread should have been in a whole at the loose end...
the actual dog I would guess needs to be threaded...at least for heavy work.....

oh I see, no it’s not like that, I’ve got it completely wrong then.

sorry should be "hole".....

on another thread they talk about counting key board strokes so they know u are working......
it's not often I get to use the key board without this little monster playing with my fingers....
she was found in a dustbin at 1 week old.....
IMG_7219.jpeg

my other two...also found in a bin.....just 3-4 days old.....what is it with key boards n kittens....lol.....
anyway who dumps a full on Siamese....?
IMG_5752.jpeg

its a rectangular block of wood with a hole drilled in it stuck on the end of the clamp shaft. No track,

I am thinking there is too much play in the hole, or as you suggest it needs some kind of track to keep it vertical

I would have thought that if it is lifting, something to prevent this should help. It may be no more that a plate screwed to the dog when it is in position. I would look at the features of the commercial ones and see how your compared. I think you have probably solved the main parts already.

My eyebrows raised when I initially saw the dogging title. :oops:

Don’t blame me, I got it from a Paul Sellers video I watched recently. He says he’s not keen on dogging systems and shows several ways to achieve the same result.

Car, car park, night and camera, seems that's the total compliment of equipment needed 🤫🤪🤫

I would have thought that if it is lifting, something to prevent this should help. It may be no more that a plate screwed to the dog when it is in position. I would look at the features of the commercial ones and see how your compared. I think you have probably solved the main parts already.
Well in principle the track idea works. … prototype pics. Just need to do it properly now.
1E23795A-B637-49BC-9084-7D917AC61016.jpeg
1E23795A-B637-49BC-9084-7D917AC61016.jpeg
C546785C-DDE2-4DA4-9B16-01F2D64506A2.jpeg

Three suggestions:
make the jaw longer back towards the clamp handle so it cannot tip as much;
make the jaw Tee shaped in cross section so it fits snugly in the slot under the bench top and
angle the jaw face from left to right (as in your pictures) as the face descends so the contact point is right at the top. The jaw will then apply a level force rather than one having a vertical component with the tendency to lift the workpiece.
Have fun.
Martin

You see the angled face on most bench dogs like Martin said. It makes up for any tendency to lean back when the force is applied. Vice jaws likewise should contact first at the top.
Very Simple Bench Dogs - YouTube

I used similar dogs on my bench and a homemade dog on a regular small vice for a tail vice. It also has the sloped face on it.
Regards
John
P1010006.JPG
P1010007.JPG

Can I make a suggestion. Using the clamp you have it may work better if only the dog moves in and out and the screw stays stationary.
The end of the screw must currently be held in the dog, if you fixed this end in position in the bench and connected the dog to threaded part of the clamp that you have currently fastened to the bench. The screw would be fixed at both ends and the dog connected to the threaded “carrier” would move which would counter the lift. Maybe?

Can I make a suggestion. Using the clamp you have it may work better if only the dog moves in and out and the screw stays stationary.
The end of the screw must currently be held in the dog, if you fixed this end in position in the bench and connected the dog to threaded part of the clamp that you have currently fastened to the bench. The screw would be fixed at both ends and the dog connected to the threaded “carrier” would move which would counter the lift. Maybe?

Hi

I think you’re absolutely right, and that’s the way to do it. However, I didn’t know that when I bought the clamp! And I don’t think I want to tear to pieces what is actually a really nice vintage clamp, that can be used in other circumstances. So I’ll persist with the way I’m doing it, and if that fails, I’ll probably need to try some variation on what you suggest, or get a different clamp.

steve

Back