Bench-Dog Dowels sized 19mm or 3/4 inch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WandrinAndy

Established Member
Reaction score
Back in Oz, I have used dowels sized 19mm or 3/4 inch as bench-dogs, and thickly thought this size was a global convention for round-dog-holes... Silly me!

So for a new caravan-benchlet-build, I have just bought some Veritas Wonder Pups and Panel Clamps which require 19mm dog-holes, only to discover that B&Q and my nearest timber merchant both stock dowels conveniently sized at 6,9,12,15,18,21.... mm.

Does anyone have an idea where I can get 19mm dowels to easily make some bench-dogs please?

marcros":3gtwat0h said:
plug it dowel. http://plugitdowel.co.uk/dowel.cfm

If you order it in the morning, you may get it Saturday!

If you are in an urgent rush, since you are in Leeds I have a couple of 4" lengths of walnut that might get you started!

Many Thanks for that splendid info! :D

No urgency, just thought getting this size the easiest.

Out of interest, is that what most folk use, or is there a different size used in Blighty? I vaguely recall that the WorkMates might use 20mm...

i dont suppose that it really matters if you are only using shop made dogs/accessories. The veritas bits all use 3/4" and the holdfasts that previously were on a group buy use 3/4"

Couldn't you find a friendly woodworker and get him/her to make you some? It's a very simple thing to do: draw a 19mm circle at each end of a blank (cut to length) and then joint the lines with a plane, finish with sand paper. You could cheat by starting with next oversized dowel.
I bet there is a woodworker somewhere near you!

PS - if you are matching the dowel to a drill hole you could use the drill bit itself to mark the blank, if the bit has a spur to scribe the circle.

Latest posts

Back