Bench clamp thingy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

Just bought a bit of Beech to make another box.
Needed to plane it flat and it kept moving around so I made a little bench clamp that fits in the 'dog' holes in my workbench. Used a very cheap 3" G clamp and cut it as follows. Works very well thank you and cost me 1/2 hour + about £1 (clamp came in a bag of 10 assorted sizes for £9.99)

Cut.JPG

Gound it round using the angle grinder and finished it with a file

Grind.JPG

Here it is in use after I heated it up with a blow lamp and bent the top a little to make it run perpendicular to the shaft.

In_use.JPG

And this is what it looks like - who cares what it looks llike? It works!!!!

On_Side.JPG

I would be interested in your thoughts on this one - I am sending it to a mag to see if they will publish in tips section :)

Hi Tony

Well done, an ingenious solution.

I definitely think it counts as a jig, so it just goes to confirm my thought that you shouldn't be allowed to enter any more competitions. :lol:

All the best
Neil

Tony.

A lot cheaper than the Veritas wonder dogs(!) and the ball joint on the clamp screw can be very useful in holding irregular shapes. Good idea and one I shall bear in mind.

Have you upgraded you digi-camera ALF, or just got your animated-gif working? It's just abit dark to see - is that a mini-gloat in there? Can I see a LN?

Adam

asleitch":2k9jhii1 said:
Have you upgraded you digi-camera ALF, or just got your animated-gif working?
I found a neat bit of freeware that makes making animated gifs easy even for neanderthals (i.e. Me :roll: ).

asleitch":2k9jhii1 said:
It's just abit dark to see - is that a mini-gloat in there? Can I see a LN?
Sorry 'bout the darkness. I did it using the multishot option on my camera, and you end up with 16 tiny pics in one big pic, which makes for lousy quality shots. :( I'll see if I can tweak them so you can get full view of the - yes - L-N 164. :D

Cheers, Alf

Edit: There you are, try that. Heck, you can practically count the shavings now... :wink:

That's a nice lookin piece of improvisation Tony... but I'm curious; in your "in use" pic, what's holdin the LHS of the board??

Back