Bench Building..a bit long winded

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem Argus thats what we all come here for a bit of help :lol: glad i could , first time for everything my nonsense being helpful that is :lol:

Chris,

As it was to be a one-off set of pics, I was going to try your page, but the link in Adam's post doen't work.

Is the offer to host pics on your site still on the table?

My pics are about 300kb are these too big?

Argus,

Yes, the offer is still open. My previous site has been hijacked - long story - but I have another. You can post your pics here http://www.woodgen.com/gallery/woodwork

There are no restrictions on file size at present but I suggest you size them to a degree which will upload in a reasonable time.

Go to admin options at the top righ, pick "add photos" and then use the form option (tab) of the subsquent pop-up screen to select your pix.

I made my bench a couple of years ago with a Vertias Double Screw Vice at one end.

Albeit I'm delighted with my bench I have 3 small niggles.

1 My tool tray, it fills up with junk and tools and I wish I'd never added it

2 The Veritas Vice, depending on the thickness of your workpiece the handles stick up over the top of the workbench, then say if your using a router with a side fence the side fence bars invariably hit the handles, and always all my power tool cables get snagged on them. The handles are not loose as they are on normal vices and therfoere cannot be slid out of the way. Next time I build one I'll miss this out and have 2 shoulder vices

3 The Veritas round dog holes, I need a hammer to tap them in and out at certain times of the year, the smooth operation of the square dogs in my furniture making course work place are a delight compared to mine

Just thought you may want to think about these

AndyBoyd":3iug4kxl said:
The handles are not loose as they are on normal vices and therfoere cannot be slid out of the way.
Hmm, hadn't realised that. :? Presumably if they were loose there'd be a problem with them fouling on each other or something? I think I'd be tempted to remove the least-used handle and leave the other loose myself, but perhaps that wouldn't work for some reason? I'm a bit surprised really; L-V don't usually drop the ball like that. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

On mine, the handles are located by a brass screw with knurled top so that the screw can be backed off and the handles are then free to move. As Alf says they can then foul each other so it is not an instantaneous fix - the vice needs to be open however far you want it, before undoing the screws.

Back