Bench Belt Sander decision?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_87

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am wanting a bench mounted belt sander, 90% of them have a disk sander built in which I don't really need as I have a Record Power DS300(the 12" disk sander).
So far I've been looking at :

Record Power BDS150
Record Power BDS250
Axminster Craft AC200BDS
Axminster Trade AT100BS

Rightly and wrongly, I like Record Power stuff. So the simple question is, does anyone know if there is a big quality difference between the 150 and the 250?
Beyond that, does anyone know if the Ax stuff is any better/on par with the RP?

If it helps or makes any difference I have a specific use for it. I make drums using a stave construction(think like a barrel) once the angles are cut on the bandsaw I need to clean up the edges, I currently use sandpaper stuck to my bench and it is tedious to say the least.

Thanks,
Dave.

If you don't need the disc I'd wonder about a Bosch GBS 75 (not sure of the number) because you can use it both ways - the box shape means it can sit solid on the bench upside down. Comes with various brackets and a fence for further variations. Noisy though, not an induction motor

If I were wanting the same sized one again, I would have a look for
what kind of belts the machine takes.
The one I have has small ribbed belts that can get damaged or wear easily, compared to
a v belt like in this video.

4.jpg
I don't think one could argue with my thinking that a heavy v belt is a superior design
to what I have,
I can say it's not a case for the disc being more accurate, as mine has some runout.

In regards to bells and whistles...
Thinking of making a nice platform myself to make use of the belt more, I'd reckon forget about what puny and/or flimbsy table that comes with all these, and make your own much larger table for it.
There's nothing more difficult than to balance a large thing on a wee table.

Another thing that might influence your decision is that you might think
that a basic sander would lend itself better if it were to be changed into an edge sander...
which could make more use the drum for tight spaces.
Hope I haven't brought you back to the starting board again!

Good luck whichever one you choose.

Tom

Have you considered building one? They are little more than a frame, motor, pulleys and a drum at each end.

Back