Belted Galloway Bull

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claymore

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Just finished this today, not the most exiting Intarsia but its what the customer wanted and its got a ring through its nose. Around 14" long and made with Pine and bit of Beech for the ground......used black dye which was actually a pig to use and needed loads of coats to get it decent....next time i will paint the black bits. I prefer using different woods and actually find using hardwoods easier than Pine especially when filing/sanding and carving.
Even though I live in Galloway its very rare to see any of these.
Cheers
Brian

Attachments

• Belted Galloway Bull Intarsia 20th June 2019 (Medium).jpg
    Belted Galloway Bull Intarsia 20th June 2019 (Medium).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 523
If it's what the customer wants all you can do is render it to the best of your ability, even if it's not the most fulfilling exercise, I doubt few would better the quality of the finished product.

We see quite a few Galloways around here, there being a pedigree Belted Galloway herd on the Ebworth Estate and these are often moved around the area as conservation grazing stock.

Cheers, there are more Highland cattle here than the Galloways and even rarer is the Galloway Ponies which are VERY rare in the UK. The buyer has seen it and loves it so I'm happy lol. Starting on a 4ft Red Kite next (got orders from a previous customer who want another Kite, a White Tailed Eagle and a Osprey complete with fish from one of his own photos so that will be fun both designing the pattern and actual butchering wood. Great to be back in the workshop.
Cheer
Brian

Had the pleasure of awaiting the pleasure of a Highland and her buddies on Minchinhampton Common this morning, I guess standing in the middle of the road whilst you think about that odd itch or make your mind up which part of the several hundred acres of common land might be worth a visit has its benefits to the bovine psych. Just glad they did not shake those horns when they decided to walk down the road past the car instead of stepping a metre or two onto the soft grass first.

They are gorgeous, you mention those horns......a few years ago we were touring the Highlands on my Harley and near Plockton we met 4 of them in the road and a bit further down the road was a lovely German motorhome complete with at least 12ft long dent in the side from the horns, they are alloy panels so not very tough and what a mess they had made but the Germans were stood taking pictures of the cows and laughing so they didn't spoil their holiday lol.

That's a corker !! The folds of skin on the neck make it look really realistic.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Claymore":27pzhgvv said:
Cheers, there are more Highland cattle here than the Galloways and even rarer is the Galloway Ponies which are VERY rare in the UK. The buyer has seen it and loves it so I'm happy lol. Starting on a 4ft Red Kite next (got orders from a previous customer who want another Kite, a White Tailed Eagle and a Osprey complete with fish from one of his own photos so that will be fun both designing the pattern and actual butchering wood. Great to be back in the workshop.
Cheer
Brian
Another superb piece from the master and it's better than great to see you back in the workshop.

take care
Don W

Latest posts

Back