Belt sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstainwilly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am sure it is in here somewhere but with little time to spare I am sure someone will know which is the best reasonable priced belt sander. It is a tool I don.t use a great deal but the cheap ones I have bought have either covered everything (including me) in dust or have failed to perform for any length of time. Your help would be much appreciated.
Willy.

I had a Ryobi four inch belt sander, one of these. http://www.londondiycentre.co.uk/ryobi- ... 2018-p.asp
Not cheap but a great piece of kit and fantastic dust collection. it got tired after about four years of serious abuse and upgraded to a makita four inch jobbie, again the dust collection is superb. I have a mate who has one of these http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-9911- ... prod19574/ the three inch Makita jobbie and swears by it, she uses it on chain sawed logs.
Depends on your budget, but a hundred quid is not too bad these days.

Chunko'.

I bought a Sparky belt sander from Screwfix. It worked ok for a short while then just stopped so I returned it. I then bought a Challenge belt sander from Argos because I needed one quickly on one Friday night for use over the weekend and I couldn't wait for postage. That broke instantly. I only wanted to change the supplied belt for a finer grit and the entire mechanism bent and the front roller nearly fell off. That was returned as well. I then bought a Metabo BAE 75 and it's great - powerful, reliable, fantastic dust extraction and comes with a stand and fence.

Hope this helps

Mark

A further thought.
Belt sanders are powerful tools that work hard, have big motors and a lot of moving parts.
Not a set of assets compatible with the word cheap.
Chunko'.

I too have one of those super high quality CHALLENGE belt sanders. It's a toy. Nothing more. But, I've had it 4 years and it's still going. It's done plenty of work but gets red hot to the point that the air ejected from the motor will burn your fore-arm during use, after only about 5 minutes use! At this point I put it down and let it rest. If I carried on using it, it would simply melt and I would need a skin-graft. But, dust extraction is very good.

With belt sanders, you definately get what you pay for. I paid £15 in an Argos sale.

HTH

Roy

Back