• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Belt sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

woodstainwilly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am sure it is in here somewhere but with little time to spare I am sure someone will know which is the best reasonable priced belt sander. It is a tool I don.t use a great deal but the cheap ones I have bought have either covered everything (including me) in dust or have failed to perform for any length of time. Your help would be much appreciated.
Willy.

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a Ryobi four inch belt sander, one of these. http://www.londondiycentre.co.uk/ryobi- ... 2018-p.asp
Not cheap but a great piece of kit and fantastic dust collection. it got tired after about four years of serious abuse and upgraded to a makita four inch jobbie, again the dust collection is superb. I have a mate who has one of these http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-9911- ... prod19574/ the three inch Makita jobbie and swears by it, she uses it on chain sawed logs.
Depends on your budget, but a hundred quid is not too bad these days.

Chunko'.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a Sparky belt sander from Screwfix. It worked ok for a short while then just stopped so I returned it. I then bought a Challenge belt sander from Argos because I needed one quickly on one Friday night for use over the weekend and I couldn't wait for postage. That broke instantly. I only wanted to change the supplied belt for a finer grit and the entire mechanism bent and the front roller nearly fell off. That was returned as well. I then bought a Metabo BAE 75 and it's great - powerful, reliable, fantastic dust extraction and comes with a stand and fence.

Hope this helps

Mark

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
A further thought.
Belt sanders are powerful tools that work hard, have big motors and a lot of moving parts.
Not a set of assets compatible with the word cheap.
Chunko'.

doorframe

Established Member
Reaction score
I too have one of those super high quality CHALLENGE belt sanders. It's a toy. Nothing more. But, I've had it 4 years and it's still going. It's done plenty of work but gets red hot to the point that the air ejected from the motor will burn your fore-arm during use, after only about 5 minutes use! At this point I put it down and let it rest. If I carried on using it, it would simply melt and I would need a skin-graft. But, dust extraction is very good.

With belt sanders, you definately get what you pay for. I paid £15 in an Argos sale.

HTH

Roy