Belt sander or random orbital sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
I normally use a belt sander to finish my work and clean up any joints but i've seen quite a few joiners using random orbital sanders . I used the random sander to finish a parquet floor once and it gave a nice finish but was slow . Also a friend of mine once used a random orbital on a table top and it left little circles all over it .
What say the forum on what sander for the best finish ?

JFC
I have a Metabo Duo ROS-it has a dual orbit (3 or 6mm) so can remove material very quickly AND leave a perfect finish. I'd definitely have a look at one-I find the belt sander a little "agricultural" in comparison.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

It's probably not as snazzy as other ROSs, but the B&Q sander discussed in this thread is proving to be an absolute gem. It doesn't get used every day, but it's certainly getting worked and it produced a lovely finish on my recently made maple table. For less than £20, I'm very happy with it.

Gill

philly i have the same metabo duo sander , maybe ill try it when cleaning up my next job , im just a little worried it will leave the small circles i mentioned . Its the same make sander my friend used .
p.s philly is that a record 120 block plane as your avatar ?

Give it a go-don't apply much pressure and you'll get no swirls.
And it's a Lie-Nielsen 102 block :wink:
Philly :D

jfc what is the final grit that you used and does you sander have a speed control ,one of the members said the slower the speed the more you take of ,i find this works for me .

frank

JFC":2e5sj5uy said:
philly i have the same metabo duo sander , maybe ill try it when cleaning up my next job , im just a little worried it will leave the small circles i mentioned . Its the same make sander my friend used .
p.s philly is that a record 120 block plane as your avatar ?

It won't leave any swirls, as it is fitted with a rubber brake pad which stops this happening.

ROS is the way to go, but belt sanders if used carefully with the grain can be good. But there is a high risk of catching an edge which will leave a deep score mark.

My favorite is a good plane with a fine cut..............the wood glows

Bean

Back