Belt sander advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to buy a belt sander for a variety of uses from restoring old doors to finishing ripple sycamore to prevent tearout.

Had a look back through threads but there doesn't seem to be much I can see that is up to date. Can I get some guidance or feedback on 3in vs 4in? I'm quite taken with the new DW 3 wheel 3in one but I don't know whether that is because its new and yellow or because its good :lol: .

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,
I had the DeWalt sander, but unfortunately it had to go back due to poor dust extraction, no matter what i tried, it simply wouldnt pick up the dust, after sanding 2, 4m lengths of 195 window board,
the bag was more or less empty so it went back,
i called up dewalt technical, and they said that they hadnt had it before,
so i dont know if it was just the one i had or not, i do hope so though incase you do get one!! all of the other features performed excellently
where i work we also have the larger 4" sander, which is great, it just keeps going and going and going

just my 2 pences worth

cheers, Matt

Hi Tim,

This review may be of some help, although it is a bit on the old side (April 2000) so the DW you're interested in isn't included. It has some info on 3" vs 4".

The current GWW magazine has a review of 3inch models, the DeWally DW433 and the Bosch GBS 75AE got best on test. The DW433 also came top in a review in FWW a few months back, along with a Makita IIRC.

NeilCFD

Matt - was yours the 433 that Neil refers to?

I saw the review Neil which certainly made good reading but if the dust extraction is a prob I'm not sure I want to use it. Just had a look at the FWW review (June 2004) and they also say that they were disappointed with the dust extraction - top overall but least effective at dust extraction.

Whats the view on sanding frames and other extras - are they worth it?

T

tim":3hzzo3l9 said:
Whats the view on sanding frames and other extras - are they worth it?

T

Absolutely sanding frames are worth it. In fact, it wouldn't occur to me to use a belt sander without one. I have the big Bosch 4" BLUE sander and the dust extraction works well. Now that I have a Trend extractor I always use it with that, but before it used to fill the bag without problems.

The reason why you need the frame, apart from very rough work, is to stop the sander rocking backwards and forwards leaving cylindrical marks in the work surface.
John

Tim,

I have an Elu 4 inch sander (there is probably one the same in DW colours) and it works fine, picks up the dust very well ( I generally use it with a vacuum attached rather than the bag which fills quite fast on a large job). If using it on flat surfaces then a sanding frame helps a lot and I wouldn't be happy using it without - although I know some of our American friends use them so much that they become very expert and eschew the use of frames.

Only real drawback to the thing is the noise and if using it for extended periods, its weight.

I think the frames are worth it, especially if you are doing delicate stuff such as the finishing of your ripple sycamore. The other bits & pieces (inversion stands etc.) look useful to me too, provided that is that you don't already have a dedicated sanding station.

The one I like the look of is the Bosch GBS75AE, but I've never actually seen one in the flesh, and I don't own a belt sander now, so don't place too much faith in my advice!

NeilCFD

Hi Tim,

In a similar situation a couple of years ago. Looked at 3" and 4" models and wasn't sure which to get. Although the fitting of a wooden floor and subsequent finishing was one of the reasons I needed a belt sander I knew there would be plenty of other situations where it would come in very handy. The 4" would've been ideal for the floor but reckoned it would be too heavy and cumbersome for other jobs so ended up with the Bosch GBS75AE (3") and have no regrets. Light enough and powerful enough from sanding upright doors to finishing off the floor. Excellent dust extraction (although mostly have shopvac attached), manual tracking is ok, came with frame, stationary clamp kit and metal kit box.
noisy as the rest of them but so easy for rounding off corners etc.
Belts can be a bit expensive but last ages and sanding cleaner block helps.

Noel

Thanks for all the advice and guidance.

Just used my credit card to 'win' a Bosch GBS75AE. :lol:

T

Interested to read this thread.
I need to get a belt sander and read the review mentioned.
Most of the gear in the review is a bit pricey for me but I saw a Skil 3" Belt Sander in Machine Mart for just under £60 including Sanding Frame.
I've owned a Skil Orca Circular Saw for about a year and have been very pleased with it. I understand that Skil are the Bosch budget range??
If anyone has owned / used the Skil sander I would be very interested in hearing your comments.

Many Thanks,

Thanks for the welcome Neil.

Looks like just the forum for me.

I reckon I might spend time reading all the stuff on here when I should be making sawdust!

Regards,
L.E.

Little Ern":2a543phj said:
I reckon I might spend time reading all the stuff on here when I should be making sawdust!
That's never happened before...
whistling.gif

Welcome to the forum, L.E. Your nickname is making it hard for me to resist going into full Eric 'n' Ernie mode, but I'll be good.
biggrin.gif

Cheers, Alf

Did some sanding today with the new purchase. Not subtle are they :eek: . Pretty impressive results and also with an array of extras that are comprehensive.

I will write a fuller (more full (gr.)?) apparaisal after christmas if anyone would be interested but this is just to say thanks for the advice on this - so far its looking good.

Cheers

T

tim":1f1p5sfr said:
I will write a fuller (more full (gr.)?) apparaisal after christmas if anyone would be interested
Yes please, Tim :)

NeilCFD

Back