Belt Driven Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorden

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just fitted a 'Powerlink' drive belt to my Xcalibur table saw and have to say, I'm impressed. The belt is made up of linked segments and can be made to the right size by hand.
It took less than 5 minutes to fit and I noticed an immediate reduction in vibration and noise. I can stand a coin on edge on the table now, while cutting wood, though why I'd want to do that beats me.

I got mine from Chronos Ltd, in Dunstable and cost £35.90 including nex day free delivery. They sell 2 types of belt, I needed the 'A' section which looks like a car fan belt, and I'm guessing most machines would use this type.

Dennis

Hi guys

I couldnt find this belt in their online store. Do you have a URL at all? The belt on my 804 is driving me nuts, would really enjoy some quieter smoother running...

any help would be great.

Louie

Your local http://www.wyko.co.uk/ do them. The better ones are made by Fenner. Type of belt is PowerTwist, the red one. And they are directional.

Dennis,

Is the price they quote for a metre of links?
I cannot decide from the site if I am buy an inch or a mile for my money!

its by the metre and you need four feet for the xcalibur saw ,i have just placed an order for some with lee valley .

frank

About time Frank........

Best Rgds

Noel

frank":2g2cs7b4 said:
its by the metre and you need four feet for the xcalibur saw ,i have just placed an order for some with lee valley .

frank

I take it there's a few more goodies with that order :wink:

frank":21fzas0c said:

frank

Hi Frank,

I was wodnering, how does the order process work with Lee Valley?

Order, they ship and then you get a tax invoice from customs? :)

Find it all works well?

A few times I have looked at ordering from them, just wondered what the experience was like from your point of view :)

hi kev just one or two little bits the belt is $6.70 a foot ,louie the postman never charged me for my last order so if i get charged this time i will just split it between the two ,i havent put in a big order but i think if i did it would attract the customs ,i have also ordered a naughty book ie the new catalogue .i will be missing for a week as were orf to spain a bit of sun sea and a drink .why do taxis cost so much they want more for a 25 mile fare than the air line wants to fly the wife and i to spain . :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

frank

Well......... the Power Twist link belt arrived this morning :D

I was always a bit dubious....well maybe dubious is the wrong word, but not totaly convinced a belt could make that much difference......not that i was doubting any of the members of this forum.....but seeing is believing :D

Wow.....what a difference.......vibration is down to the bare minimum,i can now stand a penny on the ends of the fence rails without falling over on start up,cutting and shut down and there was no chance of that before :D ....as for the noise reduction....well it's the quietest table saw i've ever used,it's gotta have reduced the noise by atleast 50% if not more compared to the original belt :D

Anyway...one very happy woody this morning :lol:

The belt seems a little expensive at £35 :shock: but well worth the money in my opinion......the cheaper alternative of course is to tack it onto an order from lee valley or similar as your paying for shipping from the states anyway.

cheers

link belt arrived on friday. I can honestly say that I have never known a piece of after sales kit make such a huge difference! It has considerably removed vibration and noise.

all i can say is, magic!

certainly a big difference and thank you Nailer for sending me a short length, saved me a few quid.

I am thinking of changing the belts on the pillar drill with a power twist belt, any one done this?

sp in the lee valley catalogue it shows the belts on a piller drill so it must be ok .

frank

Frank beat me to it. I wonder if it makes changing speeds easier? Says she who never changes speeds at all... :oops: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

A link belt will improve a drill press no end, especially at low speed. Just ensure that the existing belt is 1/2" as a large proportion of drill presses (especially bench top) use smaller belts than 1/2" and I'm pretty sure smaller link belts (Power Twist anyway) are hard to find.

Noel

I would certainly consider doing this as the drill press seems to operate on the same basis as my belt saw. Belt sprung onto motor.

Lathe is next!

well i went to pick up my parcel from the mail depot i got a card to say they wanted £12.35 tax and £4 for the privilege of letting them collect the tax but its still cheap .the twist link belt WOW what a differance so smooth as kev said :D :D 8) .i got a small drawer lock bit for £10 so i am well pleased . i know i should buy off british firms but when they start to quote £ss or more for dollers then i will go to lee valley .

Latest posts

Back