Belt disc sander choice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theartfulbodger

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm off to machine mart later (shhh!) to get a BJ600 biscuit jointer, which seems to be well regarded as a budget buy :)

While I'm there and all that...
I'm trying to decide between

this which is bigger, and has a useful looking flat belt as well as the circular disc
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... isc-sander
060610412.jpg

and this, which looks like it has much beefier tables, but a less useful arrangement of belts - the vertical belt looks "interesting"
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... isc-sander
060310403.jpg

I did look previously at the Axi offering, looks very similar to the top one form machine mart :?
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod725061/
600880_l.jpg

Any feedback on these is much appreciated, as is a pointer of others to consider.

The middle one has less woody uses then the wider flat belts, I would say the middle one is more suited for metal work.

Out the two clarke and axi, I would say Axi only because it comes with an extra fence and the assumption the belt part tilts 90deg. If the Axi one don't tilt up then I would go for clarke and make a fence.

Personally, having had a few combined disc/belt sanders over the years I wouldnt have another one - as with all combination machines there is an element of compromise - The belt runs too fast whilst the disc runs too slow or vice versa.

Go for separate machines, it may mean you will have to save a bit more but you will find it better in the long run.

I would also be a bit cautious of any Clarke power tools - They are cheap/budget end and getting tables to stay in place etc will be almost impossible

IMHO anyway

Bought the top one a year ago and if you place anything heavier than a pencil on it it won't rotate. Grinder is ok but the little table is impossible to get square to the wheel.

Apart from that great bit of kit LOL!

Go for Axminster out of the 3 dude.

Smudge

I have the Draper version (they're all really the same far eastern make) it's been going strong for many years. I recently damaged the dust deflection plate and was pleasantly surprised to find all spare parts are readily available - and quite cheaply too. I was thinking of getting the larger Axminster one but I'm not ready to buy just yet and I see it's gone up from £222 to £252 in the new catalogue so I'll not bother and just stick with what I have - it's been a very reliable machine. (I don't have the problems Smudge reports in the preceding post, the belt sander is very strong indeed and the disc table dead square).

I've got one of these as well. Biggest annoyance is the clunk..clunk..clunk as the belt goes round....but not bad enough to make me replace it. TBH I don't use mine that much.

RogerS":2gyx4aek said:
I've got one of these as well. Biggest annoyance is the clunk..clunk..clunk as the belt goes round....but not bad enough to make me replace it. TBH I don't use mine that much.
Are you aware that belts are joined in different ways? Some are butt jointed with a very thin but strong tape others are lapped jointed and glued. I've found the former the quietest.

RogerP":20c06d16 said:
RogerS":20c06d16 said:
Are you aware that belts are joined in different ways? Some are butt jointed with a very thin but strong tape others are lapped jointed and glued. I've found the former the quietest.

I'm sure that there are better belts. This is the one that came with the machine many many many years ago .....which I guess goes to show how little I find a use for it. If I was starting out again I think I'd go for a single vertical disc sander.

The OP states that the vertical belt model is "interesting" ..

IIRC most (if not all?) the combination belt/disk sanders can be re-positioned such that the belt is vertical and then the table can also be re-positioned from the disk to the belt? This may not be possible on all machines but could be worth considering.

Regards

Dave

theartfulbodger":2gmwbgrc said:
Thanks again, all.

I had a look at the "top one" in the MM showroom and it didn't inspire. I'll take another look at the Axi one and try not to think about price rises :lol:

I think you will find that to all intents and purposes these are identical. This model has been around for years and years.

Latest posts

Back