Belfast sink waste

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlightfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of fitting a Belfast sink in my utility room.I have made the base unit the sink fits nicely and I am trying to sort the sink waste,my plumber told me I needed a one and a half inch slotted waste so I sent for one.I looked at it today and it looks as if it is a) too short and b) too narrow for the sink hole,I should point out that the sink is a new old one which was salvaged from a school and there is a boss type bulge underneath where the waste comes through.My question is can I get an extra long waste to solve my problem or is there another way around this ,please don't advise buying a new sink as this one fits my unit like a glove and a new one may not

We did this a few years ago, you can't get a waste for it officially (don't ask). I fitted it with a 65mm waste (this one I think ( https://www.tapwarehouse.com/product/ca ... lsrc=aw.ds).
along with this kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/CDA-Space-Save ... B00JR3XEOU

You need to bed it in silicone (or plumbers mate if you want to remove it at some point) and run a smear round the underside.

ours came out of a school too, worst thing I fitted and regret it every single day, it's a complete nightmare to keep clean, no one but me puts their hands in the sink to wash them so the sides are covered in water almost constantly (and it's showing) and because it's flat bottomed the missus keeps standing things in it.
when I rip the kitchen out in a few months time (because that's just what you want to do 5 years later when you put a lot of effort in to something, just because she has decided we are extending the house which will change the kitchen) I'm putting in a different type of sink and the monstrosity of ceramic boat anchor can be used somewhere I won't be near.

not to put you off though.

:)

novocaine":pc1ex78i said:
We did this a few years ago, you can't get a waste for it officially (don't ask). I fitted it with a 65mm waste (this one I think ( https://www.tapwarehouse.com/product/ca ... lsrc=aw.ds).
along with this kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/CDA-Space-Save ... B00JR3XEOU

You need to bed it in silicone (or plumbers mate if you want to remove it at some point) and run a smear round the underside.

ours came out of a school too, worst thing I fitted and regret it every single day, it's a complete nightmare to keep clean, no one but me puts their hands in the sink to wash them so the sides are covered in water almost constantly (and it's showing) and because it's flat bottomed the missus keeps standing things in it.
when I rip the kitchen out in a few months time (because that's just what you want to do 5 years later when you put a lot of effort in to something, just because she has decided we are extending the house which will change the kitchen) I'm putting in a different type of sink and the monstrosity of ceramic boat anchor can be used somewhere I won't be near.

not to put you off though.

Some day ours will be thrown into the nearest field and used as a water trough for cattle.
A boat anchor indeed. It dis-colours, chips, breaks anything accidentally dropped on it or even anything that falls over in it, a total mis-chosen, un-wisely fitted lump of white stuff that is too low to be practical. Other than that, go ahead and fit one : )

Waste pipe wise, never had any issues. Standard 40mm from the local p merchants. Any differences may depend on the waste fitted to the sink itself.

We had one in our old house and it was great over 30 years use and still looked good when we sold the house,I think I've sorted the waste or I should say the plumber has,this one is for our utility room,but awe are also having one in our new kitchen.We find that the modern shallow ones let water splash all over the place and are useless for washing dishes but the deep belfasts are very practical,anyway I've made the unit now so it is definitely going in even if I have to fix a hosepipe under it lol! Thanks for the input though guys even if you are trying to convince me that they are no good.Best regards Kevin.

Sorry Kevin, wasn't trying to put you off them.

there must be something about them, they've been fitted in houses for nearly 200 years now.

I wonder if I'd mounted it though rather under the counter if that would have made any difference. might suggest it to the better 3 quarters.

glad you got sorted.

Love and hate for them here:

We have one in what was once the scullery of the house. It's original, it's discoloured, cracked and hugely handy, presently for washing paintbrushes, etc.

It was a right PITA to fit the waste though. I had to take the thing off its legs/brackets a while ago - can't remember why - and realised why it was leaking - the bottom wasn't flat and it couldn't seal up no matter what I did. In the end, I got a coarse cheap diamond plate (from one of those five quid sets from pound shops, etc.), and used that to grind the ceramic parallel and flat on the underside (where it was leaking from). A standard 1 1/2" waste is in it now, with a polythene washer from a toilet cistern (I think), gummed to the underneath, no problems since.

So do a dry-fit, double-treble-check before you put the thing in situ. If you can't tighten the big nut up so the sealing washer beds properly, fix that first!

The other one we had in the house is now a really handy herb garden just outside the back door - it was too badly cracked to be used for anything else, but the Kitchen Empress has decreed that it's wonderful like that. Who am I to suggest anything else?

Well I think the base is flat where the large washer goes before the big nut,but it's a good tip and I will double and triple check before I put the sink in place ?The plumber will help me and he's pretty good,well I hope he is he's putting a new boiler in for me next week!Little does he know he's got to sort my sink first or he doesn't get any cake with his coffee I'll keep you posted on what actually happens if you're still interested and yes I think the sinks are brilliant for washing paint brushes and rollers also good for washing veg from the garden,not at the same time of course........

Latest posts

Back