Beginners problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've just started woodworking, well in the last 12 months, Did a stint at nightschool and caught the bug. I've set my self up with a few handtools, small planer thicknesser , worktable (ie 2 layers of plywood topped with 6mm mdf on a frame -rock solid ) the workshop (have been dying to say it) is in my cellar. Not ideal but it's not that damp as long as I don't leave any wood on the floor its reasonably big , heated, I'm getting a dehumidifier and I take time to condition any wood before and during construction (scattered under settees/beds etc ) I'm the my glass is half full type. Have completed a couple of projects pine shelves DVD shelves in Oak ( turned out american) both college projects then got ambitous started a coffee table in American black walnut trying to find some time to finish off 90% there. Promised myself I'm going to get it to finish stage this weekend (kids allowing)

Anyway not knowing too much about this wonderful folly I've got a couple of problems I hope you guys/girls can help me with
1) I have bought a record a vice, the mechanism is coated in black grease I'm thinking not conducive with wood however I'm not sure what should I clean it off with (white spirit? and what should I replace it with I assume some sort of lubricant will be required? camellia oil?

2) bought a record 300 bandsaw would like to have bought a bigger machine but conditions dictate anyway I bought it a couple of weeks ago put it together straightaway but found that the table is not flat putting a straight edge across it it dips in the middle a good few mill. Is that normal/to be expected ? Would have asked sooner but it's taken me two weeks to get broadband sorted out but I musn't start that or a tirade of Victor meldrew proportions will pour out

Cheers

Pete

Pete

Welcome to the forum.

Pete":1vxpvw3k said:
the mechanism is coated in black grease I'm thinking not conducive with wood however I'm not sure what should I clean it off with (white spirit?

White spirit or WD 40 will clean off the grease, I'd use a small amount of lubricating oil like 3 in 1 to keep it oiled,you'll need to do this frequently because of the dust/shavings that tend to clog up the mechanism.

found that the table is not flat putting a straight edge across it it dips in the middle a good few mill.

No the table should not have a bow in it, did yopu buy this new? If so I would send it back to the retailers and either ask for a relacement or your money back.

I'm sure others will be along soon.

Fatcat, I know all about Record bandsaws :oops: :oops:

Have you done a reset to the distorted table by adjusting the level using the bolt that drops in the hole at the front end of the blade slot?

Otherwise as Waka says get a new table.

Thanks for the replies

Forgive the ignorance I thought it didn't seem right that the table wasn't flat but not knowing that much wanted a second opinion before going back to the retailer.

Devonwoody I have tried the bolt that you mention but it doesn't cure the problem but makes one side go more off cock. Do you thing the tightness of the mounting bolts would have anything to do with it tried to just nip them up and not go overboard. I'll have another play just to make sure I've not missed something stupid then I'll ring the shop I bought it from I hope I don't have to lug the whole thing back.

Not to familiar with these forums waht all the faces about

Pete, if the table has a dip in it no amount of adjusting will correct it (if adjusting did correct it the table wouldn't exactly be ridgid......) Talk to your supplier and get it or the machine exchanged.

Noel

Fatcat those faces you mention are to the left hand side of your post reply dialogue box. I use them so I am not tobe taken to seriously :wink:

If you hold your mouse over an icon it will display its meaning and depending on your sense of humour level you might pop in one on occassions.

Back