Beginner young turner looking for advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanh3103

Reaction score
Hi, I am 13 years old and have received lathe training through the AWGB. In the next few months, I should be getting a lathe and some basic tools through their grant scheme. I have two questions: 1) how can I lift a 57kg lathe onto a stand as I am not that strong and both my parents have back injuries so can't lift heavy things and 2) is there anywhere I can go to get sundries and extras like sanding gear, wood and finishing products etc that may offer me a small discount as I really don't have that much money to be able to spend. The Bowler Hatted Turner told me when he gave me my training that the best way to make a small fortune woodturning is to start with a large one!

You could do it with a friend or two by sliding the tailstock and tool post banjo off the end of the lathe. That should reduce the weight some, making it easier to lift. A friendly neighbours could also help. See if there is a local AWGB club in your area and I'm sure that they would come by and help you get the lathe on the stand, cleaned off preservative and placed. They also would probably give you some wood to practice with and tell you where they get supplies from.

Pete

Local turning club are unhelpful and unfriendly and have said as they have no space in their club for any more members then they are not willing to help me in any way due to the fact I am not a club member. They are not an AWGB club, the nearest one of them is about an hour away so really is not practical to join

Ye gods .......... they know how to look after their club's future, don't they? :? Unfortunately all clubs contain their quota of morons, and the morons often get on the committees.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listi ... 740&sr=8-3
is well worth getting. This is expensive atm, but does come cheaper sometimes - the newer editions have a DVD. Abrasives etc. can be expensive, but don't be tempted to save money on cheap ones- they are false economy, and decorator's stuff from builders merchants is usually too coarse so rubbish for your needs anyway. You can get mixed packs of Abranet etc. on Amazon and Ebay.
Ideally you need someone to take you under their wing as you'll have trouble sharpening tools properly without the gear to do it. I'd happily give you hand were I closer - with any luck someone'll come along. :D

My lathe grant does come with a grinder, which I am looking to exchange for jigs and then get a wet grinder for my birthday

As Phil says with a bit of luck someone here might be local and offer to help you.

Amazed at the attitude of your AWGB branch and find it difficult to believe they are all a holes.
Is there anyone from awgb reading in a position to rectify?

First welcome to the hobby of woodturning and you have started correctly by getting some tuition.

As stated buy the best tools and equipment that you can cheap stuff will not last as long.

Keep the bench grinder and don't worry about a wet grinder instead either buy or make some jigs. When sharpening a gentle touch is required otherwise you will soon grind away the tools.

Abrasives I buy some from toolstation which are these ones I find them very good get a good selection of grits

The club member you spoke to was not very helpful. And should have at least suggest something to you.
Please note that the club you spoke to are probably just members of the AWGB and that is why their name appears on the AWGB site and does not reflect the true AWGB as an organisation.

You can always ask advice here but you will have to look at each reply carefully there are so many ways to do things not all are incorrect the main thing is to work safe and please remember safety gear, dust mask face shield and if possible dust extraction.

As suggested earlier try to find someone able-bodied to help with moving the lathe make sure that if mounted on a bench that it is strong enough to hold it. Remember to level the lathe along the legnth and across the width and thet the head and tailstock line up.

Last thing enjoy yourself and let someone know you are in the workshop working like your parents.

The problem is that I don't have a bench to mount a grinder to and I have only been trained to sharpen with a tormek style grinder. The package does come with a dust extractor but the hoods are expensive and I am not really sure how to mount one to my machine

evanh3103":1c44pq54 said:
My lathe grant does come with a grinder, which I am looking to exchange for jigs and then get a wet grinder for my birthday

Take a Wet grinder OFF your list, about the most inappropriate sharpening method for HSS turning gouges for day to day sharpening, too slow and gouges will wreck the wheels.

A reasonable quality Bench Grinder fitted with a White wheel, (50mm wide one is easier to use) , is best for starters.

More expensive wheels and methods can be budgeted once you have mastered the basics of sharpening. My original low cost bench grinder from 2005 is still going strong and in regular use..

evanh3103":hxeohyaq said:
The problem is that I don't have a bench to mount a grinder to and I have only been trained to sharpen with a tormek style grinder. ..

You don't need fancy benches or one that takes up a lot of room, my first grinder was mounted on a cheaply made equivalent of a kitchen cabinet that I could move around the shed.
Since then the original grinder has sat on a old kitchen cabinet set of draws which is used to house my chucks accessories and small jig aids.
GR1.jpg
GR2.jpg

Try not to be drawn into expensive, must have purchases, half the pleasure of learning to turn for me was making my own supporting bits and pieces and finding home made solutions to problems such as mounting your dust extractor. If you look at my Web Site you will see some very basic sharpening aids and early efforts at turning, Not the prettiest of tooling or efforts but it is a record of how I climbed the learning curve.

One very important and unfortunately expensive need is a good face shield and dust mask, I would recommend that the family gets together with combined funds for a good air fed mask as a birthday present.

Attachments

• GR1.jpg
    GR1.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 414
  • GR2.jpg
    GR2.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 429
One thing that could be useful is either a simple hoist if the roof would support it, or an engine lift. It would also help with lifting heavy lumps of wood on if you struggle as well as with setting it up.

Maybe keep an eye open on Facebook marketplace or gumtree etc.

evanh3103":31dw0vnl said:
Local turning club are unhelpful and unfriendly and have said as they have no space in their club for any more members then they are not willing to help me in any way due to the fact I am not a club member.

Well that sad to hear. Looks like some of the forum members will help you get going. When you are in a better position you can pay it forward to others. Our club here in Saskatoon only charges $20Can (11 1/2 pounds) a year for membership and is a whole lot more helpful. A few of the members drive up to 2 hours to come to the meetings. We have close to 50 members.

I recommend you keep the grinder. I have to assume since the AWGB is giving you the turning setup that the grinder would come with a tool rest and proper wheels.

I know it isn't fashionable but you can go to a library and borrow turning books. There is a wealth of knowledge in them.

Pete

Paul has just let me know that the club I referred to earlier is NOT in any way affiliated with the AWGB, so if all of you who have commented negatively about them could alter your posts then that would be much appreciated. Sorry for the mix up

hi

good to find i'm not the youngest on here!!! i have been turning for a while and i get by with some basic tools and a 20 quid bench grinder. originally i wanted all the tormek stuff but it was too much out of my pocket. as for the dust extractor hood, have you cosierd making one? fleabay will probably do a flange you can screw on, and if they don't i know axi do one.

but i do regret not shelling out a bit more for tools and some of my tools are getting fairly short now and have only been turning for a year or so.

good luck, and all the best. best hobby i ever picked up

Can you get over to stroud?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 822283431/

Looks mainly softwood but at £40 / tonne you’ll have all the spindle / mini side grain practice you can take: Bottle stops, light pulls, door wedges, salt scoops, pen blanks, mini bird houses, carrier bag handles, dibbers, coasters, napkin rings, Wands, bic biro upcycle pens, foot massagers, ring stands, ring dishes, beads, pendants, Drop ear rings .......... and x this list by 8 if you get a starter pack of spirit stain to do them all in a rainbow of colours!

S

Latest posts

Back