Beginner to Scrolling- Opinions please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianE

Reaction score
As someone who wants to start scrolling I’ve done lots of reading and research, and think I’ve narrowed it down to 3. Based on reviews and the fact that there’s a consensus of ‘don’t buy cheap’

I haven’t a massive budget but am fortunate to have a reasonable amount. My options are all from Axminster and are

Axminster trade AT460SS
Proxxon 460
Proton DSH2

What are your opinions. Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think you will ever need to do a lot of thick cuts (10mm-25mm ) then go for the Axi AT460ss. The 2 Proxxons are very light duty machines.

Though for the money, I would try to get a 2nd hand Hegner or an original Excalibur or Pegas badged machine ( definately not an Axminster branded oneof the Excalibur type)

A second hand Hegner is definitely a good choice. They are over engineered so they go on for ever too and if you ever come to sell you will get a good price for it. Cheaper machines tend to be worth next to nothing second hand. Are you using a fretsaw at the moment? A quality fretsaw is fast and accurate and not as noisy. Of course you could also consider a little bandsaw. They are more versatile than a scrolling saw as you can both scroll with it and do other cuts. But if you want to do very detailed work you will probably be better off with a scroll saw.

If you think you will ever need to do a lot of thick cuts (10mm-25mm ) then go for the Axi AT460ss. The 2 Proxxons are very light duty machines.

Though for the money, I would try to get a 2nd hand Hegner or an original Excalibur or Pegas badged machine ( definately not an Axminster branded oneof the Excalibur type)

+1 for the above - ALL of them!

Or try and source a s/h AT460SS. I know where there's one available - at the bottom of my garden in my workshop. In great condition. Little used. PM me if you want to chat.
Brian

This one's still available;)

I have the Proxxon DSH2 and really like it, I'm not an extensive 'scroller' but I have no complaints and would say it's well made not too much vibration pretty good throat depth although someone mentioned using 25mm stock and I can't say I've used above 15mm thick and mostly 6 or 8mm.
I upgraded my bandsaw last year thicker stock would go on that but for the smaller stuff the DSH has been great.

IMHO

Padster

Back