Beginner router advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StottC

Reaction score
I've just took delivery of my first router (just starting out in woodworking) and am a little confused when it comes to setting the depth.

The bits I got have a little line on their shafts, which I'm assuming is a 'dont insert deeper into collet than this' line, however the manual that came with the router said to push bits in all the way before tightening up.

Now when I insert the bit up to the line shown on the shaft and then try and use the little scale on the router itself to set a depth of say 2mm the bit protrudes waaaaay more than 2mm, but pushing it in all the way gets it about right.

Is it safe to push it in as far as possible, or should I respect the line on the bits and just find a way to manually measure the protrusion when the bit is in place?

This is a"what router" kind of question. :shock:
Some router collets, when tightened, push the bit down as its squeezed. If you already have the bit fully seated, then it gets squashed to the bottom, and you get two separate problems. First, the router collet wont undo because of the upward strain on the bit, or alternatively the bit doesnt get completely tightened.
many people put small rubber washers in the bottom of the collet to stop this problem.

But as always in these situations, follow the manufacturers instructions and yours says to fully seat, so youre fine.
Just bear this in mind if you get a different make in the future.

Personally, I seat mine about 3/4 in (usually :shock: :shock: :D )

It depends on the wording of the instructions, when it says all the way does that mean all the way to the cutter or to the mark on the shank. Personally I would never insert the the whole shank into the collet as it can lead to damage to the top of the cutter. The position of the cutter in the collet should not effect the depth stop as it is set once the cutter is inserted relative to the cutter position. It's difficult to advise on depth setting as routers have different methods. If you are near Ilkley you are welcome top call into my workshop and I'll give some advice on depth setting and general router use as there are some important points that will affect your relationship with your router!

Chris

"Mastering the Router, a complete Course" by Ron Fox
ISBN 1-86108-194-4

Very well worth getting a copy, sooner rather than later for a beginner.

Bod

Eric The Viking":1nlp05r7 said:
But you've just had a superb offer from Ilkley!

:)
Yep and I would instantly take it up if I were within striking distance.

Edit: the OP hails from Cheshire so doable for a nice run out in the Spring - Rob

Hi. Where abouts in Cheshire are you as I'n near chester and could drop past for half an hour (and a cup of tea) and show you how to set up and some basic dos and donts
Ian

Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate all the advice and offers to help.

In Winsford Ian, I'd gladly come to you at some point if it's a bit far out of your way for a bit of tutorage!

Or Chris, Ilkley is about a 2 hour drive but I may take you up on that at some point in the future :)

I am going past that way on Wednesday about 3pm and Friday about 2pm next week.
Cant see work further ahead at moment so it might be a saturday ride on the bike
Suggest you send me a pm and we can sort something out
Ian

I use my router quite a bit.
It’s also the tool that scares me more than any other.
I tend to plan cuts out a lot slower and more carefully than I do with say a jigsaw or circular saw, and I’ll work in passes rather than trying to complete a cut in one pass.

Back