Beginner question about cutting work the same

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a load of pallets to take apart, or wate wood and mark all ends square.... then following the advice above on how to hold the saw, keeping your wrist, elbow and shoulder lined up with the blade, start cutting...

When I was an apprentice i was given that task with a big stack of joinery timber. It was a pain in the ass ( or arm/ shoulder ) but i quickly got the hang of it, as will you!!

Where do you live. Someone on here will definitely cut them to size for you. As a beginner you will be there forever until your skill level can reach John Makepeace standards. With a hand saw you have set yourself a hard task.

If hand tools are your thing then Paul Sellers is your man. I couldn't saw straight until I watched his videos. I think this is a good one
I was so excited when it worked I took a photo. It's not perfect, but it was miles better than before.

My other recommendations are sharp saw, marking with a sharp pencil or knife and a plane to clean the cut up with.

IMG_20200705_115140790.jpg

that's a good video, you can't fault the results, it looks quite uncomfortable cutting with the saw pointing upwards like that though.

From my experience I would definately say keep a fairly loose grip, and a fairly loose wrist, don't rush, let the saw do the work, and once you've got going use the full length of the saw for your strokes. Solid work surface/ trestles. Good clamps. Well lit workspace. Blow the sawdust off your line regularly, and if it is a big cut, occasionally pull the saw out completely and clear the teeth.

Lots to think about that most of the time you don't think about

I've always found it much easier to keep a jigsaw straight freehand without a fence - a fence makes it impossible to correct if the cut drifts towards the fence.
Good point.

I was trying to get the OP to use what he had to hand rather than go out buying a plethora of new gadgets.

Mind you, I’ve always justified my own purchases by how much I’ve ‘save’ by doing it myself.

Invariably spending more and telling the wife that the new gadgets are an investment that will pay for themselves in further projects :p

Back