BEGINNER IN WOODWORKING

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am beginner in the field.
Can anyone help me with a free woodworking guide to learn more about this?
Thanks

Sorin

Hi and welcome Sorin. :)

I think in this forum you have found your free woodwork guide. The forum users here represent a broad spectrum of woodworkers all with different skill levels and woodworking interests. Here you will find everybody, from beginners like me, who asks every question under the sun, to experienced woodworkers who build pieces that take my breath away.

Combine this with the internet and there aren't many questions that you won't get an answer to.

Jeff

Sorin,
welcome to the foreign legion of this forum :D !
What kind of woodworker are you ? MDF+bisquits, massive+dovetails or both ?
Cheers
Alberto

welcome aboard Sorin....

like the others have said.. the best free advise is probably right here, but we can make it better if you can tell us a little more about your set up...

things like.. how mych workshop space you have, what type of things do you fancy making, what materials do you fancy working with, what type of tools are you into...

simple questions that can be difficult to answer, but have a try at it... no matter what your answers are, there's someone here who can advise.. just don't be afraid to ask....as often as you like too...

don't be shy...

:wink:

Hi Sorin and welcome. Most of the people here are very helpful and will do their best to answer almost any question you have. Even if you think the question seems a little dumb just ask away. God knows i have asked enough dumb questions to last at least 3 lifetimes :lol: . Also the forum search facility is dead handy i've used it alot to find answers.

Cor blimey guv he's only seen the light and joint the clan of the mighty wood torturers :lol:

Greetings Sorin
I searched a lot of web sites before stumbling on this one which is far and away the best UK based, and only the American Fine Woodworking comes close IMHO. As others have said - If you have a problem just ask.

Welcome to the world of offcuts, dust, shavings, cuts, frustration and, just sometimes, a lovely piece made of wood!

There's an interesting book called 'From one sheet of Plywood' which my kids found great fun as they could make something useful, quickly and cheaply. And even though it's a bit trite in places, 'Classics from the New Yankee Workshop' can be fun once you've got more skill. Both books are on Amazon. Norm's books assume you've got lots of power tools, though, and I don't know any newcomer who has. If you ask for advice on which to buy first you could expect a huge response in here no doubt! I'll start by saying 'table saw' - easy to use, cuts quickly and squarely, b****y dangerous! Like everything else, you get what you pay for - remember that when you see a special offer in H***base, B*Q etc...!

At the end of the day there's no substitute for practice. Pick something easy to start and make it. Take your time. It won't come out right - unless you're a natural (are you?) - but one day it will. In my experience, if you can cut wood to size and join wood together you've got it made. It's mastering those two things at the same time that seems to be impossible!

Welcome, enjoy, and good luck.

Latest posts

Back