Beggining woodworking, the first hurdles. Also howdy :)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjamino613

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

new to the forum and must say there is a wealth of information and good advice here. happy to be here.

Ive been interested in woodworking for months but like so many others have trouble getting off the ground. built a workbench (with a kreg jig) and really want to start with a small scale project, but seeing as I'm new to all hand tools, planes chisels etc I don't feel like I have honed my hand tool skills yet to make something that will come off nicely as a finished product. (that doesn't mean to say I wont continue practising my skills)

So, power tools. Cant afford a decent table saw yet, or a bandsaw. on the other hand I don't want to buy one of these junky ones (ive had enough experience buying hand tools just because their cheap then to realise they are beyond useless.). So I was thinking to buy a good sliding mitre saw, get some PSE stock and ill be able to get started making a simple nightstand for example. ill be able to chop all my PSE stock accurately to length and square, and make some simple small scale projects (probably using pocket screws for now).

Any thoughts good or bad on my approach would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

If youre thinking of making furniture with an absolute minum of equipment then a mitre saw /table saw combo would help you more than a sliding mitre. because you will need longer pieces of wood cut to size.

Something like this. The video is terrible and the music is worse, but you can see what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4WxH43 ... 0Angelides

Welcome Ben.

As far as machines are concerned, I use a 10" planer/ thicknesser for dimensioning and a small bandsaw for ripping. Everything else is done with handtools and the odd power tool (circular saw, drill). When I started I bought a router and router table but have never used them - the trap a lot of us have fallen into, so think carefully before you buy the big ticket items.

Good luck with your furniture making. I subscribe to Paul Seller's Master Class tuition you tube series. I've learnt a lot from it and at £10 a month it's very good value.

John

John15":3tc05n5s said:
Welcome Ben.

As far as machines are concerned, I use a 10" planer/ thicknesser for dimensioning and a small bandsaw for ripping.

Which Planer thicknesser do you use? It's going to be my next purchase

Stoatally":2408j381 said:
John15":2408j381 said:
Welcome Ben.

As far as machines are concerned, I use a 10" planer/ thicknesser for dimensioning and a small bandsaw for ripping.

Which Planer thicknesser do you use? It's going to be my next purchase

It's the Axmimster 10" Trade Series model.

John

Hi Ben.

If you're intending to make furniture or other bench projects, having some means of ripping down timber is pretty invaluable. A table saw or maybe a bandsaw. A table saw can often be made to do a lot of the things a mitre saw will do.

That being said if you're looking to do some more domestic type carpentry, first/second fix. a mitre saw is a good investment.

I'd always recommend going down the second hand/better quality route rather than buying cheaper new tools.
Its worth looking out for the brands that specialize in workshop machinery, rather than the more well known hand held power tool brands. You'll get more for your money.

All the best Ben. Have fun.

Dan.

Dan j":463sflic said:
Hi Ben.

A table saw can often be made to do a lot of the things a mitre saw will do.

That being said if you're looking to do some more domestic type carpentry, first/second fix. a mitre saw is a good investment.

A bit off the wall, but the Elu/deWalt flipover saw can be both and (IMHO) the Elu version is remarkably accurate. Heavy, but if you can find a place where you can use both facilities, it doesn't take up too much room

Dan j":463sflic said:
I'd always recommend going down the second hand/better quality route rather than buying cheaper new tools.
Its worth looking out for the brands that specialize in workshop machinery, rather than the more well known hand held power tool brands. You'll get more for your money.
Definitely +1 for that. There is still some excellent kit out there/

hi all, thanks for the tips.

of course in the future I would want a bandsaw/table saw to dimension the point is that at the moment a quality piece of kit (even second hand), is out of my reach and therefore will have to make do with a more narrow project field. dimensioning lumber will have to be put on hold for the time being while I make do with store bought stock etc.

Has anyone got any experience with the evolution mitre saws, sure they are much cheaper than their counterparts (looking at the 300mm sliding one for £150) but reviews from guys who claim to be in the trade etc seem to indicate that in this case, price doesn't reflect on the quality. At the moment this is more or less as much as I can lay out, it doesn't have to be the ultimate mitre saw, just decent enough to withstand a mention in the forums ;)

Hi Benjamino,

I have one of the Evo Rage 3 SCMS, and it is alright, provided you take the time to set it up properly (mine is set for 90 degrees) and don't want to cut many different angles. It doesn't like being adjusted. Use an engineer's square to true the blade to the fence.

As with any basic SCMS, the blade they give you likely isn't very good, and you should look into upgrading (Freud blades get a good rep on here but I haven't gone that far yet). Beware the Evo has a non-standard arbor diameter but you can get adaptors on eBay which will open up more blade offerings to you.

Depending on which saw you go for, you may want to improve your cut finish further by making a zero-clearance insert around the blade which should help reduce splintering.

That's my tuppence. My Evo does what I need, but don't be expecting precision finishes with the basic set-up straight out of the box.

I have to say most of my power tools (and hand tools) are budget level, but I'm happy with that. But beware - silk purses, sow's ears and all that.

Hope my rambling answer helps.

Ray.

Back