Before I buy PAR hardwood from G&S online.. would you recommend me to look somewhere else?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felipe

Established Member
Reaction score
I am new on the craft, bought hardwood a couple times from Hardwood Timber Merchants & Hand Tool Supplier | G & S, it was all right, could be a little bit straighter though, but fine. Now I am about to make another purchase, a little bit bigger this time, and I wondered if I should look somewhere else. Googling I didn't find anything that competed on price and gave me the choice to choose the sizes like they do.

I have no experience with G&S.

But I find it always pays to shop around.

I don't use hardwood either but for general wood, sheet goods etc, I always get way better prices and service from the local suppliers.

So as an example the above firm is charging this for this in European Oak, 19mm x 100mm x 2.4m is £25.
I must admit I was expecting worse, but that is machined and ready to go, I haven’t worked it out exactly, but that’s about three times the price of buying rough sawn timber from my local yard. If you haven’t got the equipment to do it yourself it’s what you have to pay I suppose. Ian

190 x 20 t and g oak flooring is about £9 plus vat per metre locally ( devon ) but i havent ordered off tinternet before.... if you search the forun you will find recommended suppliers. The best option is get a cutting list and send it out to a few places for prices.

yeah.. then considering a cheap Titan ticknesser & planner is £160, I get my head scratched...

Have you looked at the sticky in this forum for all the woodyards ?
UK & Ireland TIMBER YARDS - PLEASE Add Your Favourites

Is there one near you ? Do you have transport for collecting wood?

The hardwood offcut shop is reasonably near you. It always seems to get good reviews and Peter Millard did a few videos from there IIRC.

I did yeah. Visited all sites that were marked as “sells online”. I have moved to UK from across the Atlantic in January and got no car yet, since I live from walking distance from work I might not buy one soon.

Heh. Quite a niche scenario I am in.

But I know a mill nearby that I didn’t visit yet, here in Cambridge, called Travis Perkins.

I’ve bought a few batches of PAR oak and tulipwood from G&S, and been happy with the quality. The other thing to say is that their delivery charges are reasonable.

Travis are a big firm. They MIGHT be good, but there's just as much chance your local one is run by a bone head with little knowledge of much at all. I've had good and bad experience. They certainly are not a traditional old school saw mill

Travis Perkins are a 'builders merchant' with many stores. Their target market is construction etc. You're unlikely to find much choice of hardwood,if any there. There'll be plenty of 2x4, fenceposts that sort of thing though.

Only bought from them the once (a pile of tulip skirting and trim) but they were friendly, helpful and quick when I did. I'd buy from them again for sure.

Get a planer/thicknesser it will pay for itself quickly.
Buying par is super expensive and you will still have to prepare it some more anyway.

Ollie

Back