Been offered (to buy) some walnut from a tree surgeon....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Today in work one of the apprentices told me that one of his neighbours (a tree surgeon) was cutting down a walnut tree and was wondering if anyone he knew wanted to buy bits, my first thought was yeah go for it, however I am not sure if it is worth getting or not.

I would want to use this wood for turning however I have no idea if walnut is any good on the lathe or is it best avoided?

Also I have no idea what it is worth, would it be an expensive timber to buy comparable to oak or is it a lower quality/cost?

Ideally I would like a few pieces that would allow me to get a couple of bowls (maybe 12" dia by say 3" thick) and maybe some other material to do a few turned boxes and possibly even enough to make a small jewellery box for my girlfriend for Christmas.

I know I am asking a lot however I would just like an idea of what walnut is worth in order to see if it is worth (financially) getting some.

Cheers guys!

Hi Adam
I've just turned some Walnut into heads for miniature croquet mallets and you can get a lovely finish on it. I'd had the piece for about 15 years so it was well seasoned but one piece still split after all those years! I wouldn't have thought green Walnut would have a great value, I'd give it a go if was no more than £10 a cubic foot but Welsh Walnut may have a premium value and I could be miles out #-o

Regards Keith

Walnut is a beautiful wood to turn, you will need to expend some time drying it (months/years) to get the most productive use out of it.
Have a search for posts about walnut, seem to remember paulm having handled some.
If you want to see some as used have a look at my bits and pieces link.

and there are some images of a walnut piece here

Thanks for the info guys! I have looked at your link and the wood is absolutely stunning and I must say that you get excellent results with that buffing system!

I think I will acquire some of this timber providing that he asks a reasonable price for it, after all, he has already been paid once to take it down!

Back