Been a long time.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I haven't posted anything here for a long time and thought it about time I did :) So here are a few things I've made over the last few weeks.

This is the latest piece I have made and is coincidently in keeping with your 'outer space' competition for this month. Its called 'Dark Energy' and is made from Sycamore I milled and dried myself! Its about 6" long textured and coloured with acrylics and sits on three carved feet.
DEsmall_zps17a60c5d.jpg

This one is called 'Tear Drop Bottle' and is Oak that has been shotblasted and coloured with acrylics. It is about 8" tall.
tearbottle600_zpsb195a66e.jpg

I made this towards the end of last year, it was part of a group of three but my sister came round and said "I'm having that!" Again Sycamore, carved, textured and coloured with acrylics.
red2small.jpg

and lastly an Elm bowl.
elmbowl_zps24c87978.jpg

I've seen most of these elsewhere,so it's nice to see you posting here again! Your style is really developing and has become recognisably yours. Good to see you are not above a bit of "round and brown" from time to time besides the more creative stuff!

Ian

They are a great selection Johnny, and as remarked by Ian there is a noticeable smoothness or should that be refinement in the execution of your work showing through now, ever the one to work outside the box as always but it's getting to be a very sophisticated box you are negotiating.

Blimey Johnny you have been getting a move on :shock:
Beautiful looking pieces =D>
Hows the Bat cave coming along now have you managed to get in there yet?

+1 Never seen a style like it its unique in its own right thank you for showing us =D> =D> =D> =D>
Regards
Bill

Thanks everyone for the kind words 8)

Ian, a simple bowl with good form and finish made from nice timber is really the essence of woodturning, those who do see themselves as 'above' it (and indeed use it as a put down!) are missing out on one of the most pleasurable things you can do on a lathe!

PJ, I got the 'Batcave' done and its waterproof and everything!! I decided to keep the lathe at home so that I can nip out and do a bit without having to drive anywhere, it does house the big(ish) bandsaw, table saw and stuff but..... I made the mistake of inviting my Father-in-law to share it(its on his property), his workshop was tiny and the cave was vast so it seemed like a good idea.........it wasn't..... think bomb site, LOL! In the interests of not falling out (and I wouldn't want to he's one of the most helpful people you could want to meet and we get on really well.) I now only really go there to chop up big lumps of wood or do the very occasional large/flat project on the massively handy 8x4 bench. It does have a purpose made concrete plinth ready to sit the maxi2 on one day but I just have to think of the time,money and effort tied up in it as an investment for the future, LOL.

I lokve that bottle. How did you (if you don't mind me asking) achieve the rough vs smooth? Did you mask off bits when shotblasting?

. Ian, a simple bowl with good form and finish made from nice timber is really the essence of woodturning, those who do see themselves as 'above' it (and indeed use it as a put down!) are missing out on one of the most pleasurable things you can do on a lathe!

Absolutely!

Ian

the 'Tear Drop Bottle' is my favourite too, I can imagine Gandalf dipping into his robe to fish it out, on some wind swept plain. The others are nearly as fantastic.

Gary

Johnny , it has been a long time but well worth the wait . Those pieces are beautiful . A lot of thought must have went into the design of some of the work . But even the Simple Bowl has a great look about it added to a superb finish .

Thats the way to come back Johnny , with a bang :lol: :lol: .Hope you stay on the forum look forward to more . =D> =D>

Thanks Gary but.....
Gary Morris":1j95jjwf said:
................. I can imagine Gandalf dipping into his robe to fish it out, on some wind swept plain...........

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
steady on!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Eugene, I'll be hanging around :D

It has been a long time. Remember that little gallery you took your stuff to in the early days? I think they would be impressed!

Hi LW :D , that gallery slowly changed into a newsagents!!! :lol: Its still owned by the same man, but I guess in the current financial bad times everyone's got to earn their living in any way possible :lol:

johnny.t.":2s2pjlsj said:
Hi LW :D , that gallery slowly changed into a newsagents!!! :lol: Its still owned by the same man, but I guess in the current financial bad times everyone's got to earn their living in any way possible :lol:
That's a shame, as he was clearly sympathetic to local artists, but my guess is, you don't need him so much these days :wink:

Back