Beech Worktop Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent12

Reaction score
Hello, first time post!

We are having a new kitchen fitted at the moment and we went for a beech wood worktop.

The wood is untreated and from the feel unfinished / sanded in any way. The wood has been fixed to the units, and the underside has how been treated.

I would like peoples advice on how to sand (grit levels) and treated to get a soft-to-the-touch finish natural colour look, which is durable and can be used for everyday working in a kitchen (water / heat / food / coffee / tea etc...)

Thanks in advance.

You should find this useful, bit Bosch this/that for first 4 mins or so but useful information on worktop sanding and finishing. Video is in two parts:

Osmo Poly X should offer all the protection you need for the worktop.

Sand it to 180, give it a coat of osmo top oil ( its a bit thinner than the regular polyx so absorbs a bit quicker).
Make sure to wipe off any excess after 10 minutes.
Next day de nib it with a webrax pad, do second coat.
Job done.

A tip for long term is to get the osmo cleaner
( you mix it up in a spray bottle, it will last years) it does work well and won't strip the oil out like some cleaners.

Ollie

Thanks guys. I did sand it all back to get a smooth finish. I've now applied a few costs - I had bought Tung Oil, instead of Osmo top oil which is ok. I'm going to sand it back after 3 coats and put on a couple more. Thomas

Back