Beech Unit, and Walnut Unit.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMoore

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, below are a few pics of the latest pieces of work i have completed.
The walnut unit is for a client, and the beech unit for myself.
both are constructed with mortice and tennon joints with veneered mdf panels and doors. the tops are veneered mdf with a 20mm lipping added to the front and side edges,
the finish is 3 coats of 50% sheen pre-cat lacquer.
please feel free to comment on anything you would change.
beechunit.jpg

beechunittwo.jpg

beechunitthree.jpg

unitseven.jpg

unitfour.jpg

unitfive.jpg

i love the beech unit. The frosted glass goes very well with the beech and the finish is superb, wish i could spray! Normally any beech/maple unit looks mass produced but that one looks like a proper piece of furniture. Walnut unit is great too, i like the chrome shelf rail. How did you find the beech for movement? I used it on a painted vanity unit once and it moved loads.

Philly,
all the spraying i do myself at the workshop, although usually its last thing at night when the other guys have gone and thewre is very little dust in the air.
Orangetlh, So far the beech has moved very little, but its early days yet
i planed the material over a couple of weeks so hopefully any movement in it will already have been gone and happened!
The shelf rail was from isaac lord priced at £2.58 for a 1.8m length which i thought was very reasonably priced!

Cheers,
Matt

MattMoore":1i8qi861 said:
please feel free to comment on anything you would change.
Yes, I'd like to change things so they're in my house. :wink: =D>

Actually, one thing. Did you think about having a glazing bar across the glass where the shelf is? Just wondered if you'd tried it.

Cheers, Alf

They're both fabulous pieces of work =D> . Will you be fitting handles?

Gill

thanks for the comments everyone,
Alf, no i hadnt thought about that, being as i only had a week to make both i hadnt given it much thought!
Waka, they are basically a solid timber frame, with the panels sitting in rebates in the appropriate sides and then the hinges and sheld fixings are fixed to the panel which is flush with the inside edge of the frame work, if that makes sense...
Gill, no handles, the client witht he walnut one asked for some, but they are on magnetic push latches which open just enough to open the door from the back.

Cheers all,

Matt

Hi Matt

Wonderful, just wonderful.

I prefer lighter wood so I particularly like the beech. Mind you, I think you're brave using beech. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":elio31sc said:
Hi Matt, I prefer lighter wood so I particularly like the beech.

Funny that, me too (prefering light woods), but on this occasion, I prefer the walnut unit. I think the proportions are just spot on, and the grain is lovely.

Adam

9fingers
pre-cat lacquer is pre-catalyst, it doesnt need a catalyst to aid the drying,
as i mix up 5 or 10 litres at a time its good because it can keep in a closed tin for many weeks without going off. with a catalysed lacquer it will dry, the speed at which depends on what catalyst is used.
i use a kestrel gravity fed spray gun with a 1.8mm tip, although im contemplating purchasing a sata or devilbiss.
i prefer the gravity fed to the suction fed as for me they seem alot more reliable, and quicker to clean up.
luckily, atthe workshop there is a 50gallon 5.5hp compressor to give the compressed air to the gun.
hope that helps

Matt

I too prefer the lighter wood but would concede that perhaps the darker wood is harder to photograph.

Nice work on both pieces I'd change nothing.

Andy

Nice work. I'm more to the dark side and much prefer the walnut unit.

Andy

Back