Bedsprings ! ...or similar to fix a big vise?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteCo

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a very nice and very heavy old metal vise that I use a lot in the shed, that is up until several months ago when the spring that operates the quick release and rack/pinion lever broke off. Ive been on the lookout for a replacement spring for months and had pretty much given up on it.

I then had to get rid of an old bed with spring base.
I rescued a few of the old springs hoping the internal diameter would fit my vise - but sadly they are too narrow - being about 10mm internal diameter. rather than the 15mm or so of the original spring. The length is about the same though.

Some pics below will help you see what my problem is. My bedspring pic for size comparison.

Anyone know where I could source a suitable replacement? - seems a shame to junk an amazing good old vise for the sake of a single spring !

cheers.
Pete

0lFRe8b+SyuD54t8m%Ssvg.jpg
e0FZeM4RTi28OOF9wVVmBA.jpg
nsXSHzsdRdeR47n+i3aaWw.jpg
0lFRe8b+SyuD54t8m%Ssvg.jpge0FZeM4RTi28OOF9wVVmBA.jpgnsXSHzsdRdeR47n+i3aaWw.jpg

You could also try Airedale springs in Haworth.

Brian is there custom spring maker super chap.

Cheers James

Welding doesn't work on springs as they just flex at the soft weld area and then snap pretty quickly.

I'm afraid I'd give up on the old spring - been there - in my experience they break again

Custom made spring or off-the-shelf would be great but I think your idea of bedsprings is good so:
any chance of using a strong lever to unwind the spring enough to fit?
what about other sources - different beds, or an awful lot of scrapped trampolines out there - if you find the right one it could save several old Records/Parkinsons etc

let us know how you get on

Any chance a spring off an old sun lounger might fit? The springs that secure the bed to the tubular steel frame?
Cheers, Phil

Thanks chaps - some really good ideas there.

I spent a couple of hours researching spring making on the web-u-like and I might have a bash at making a spring using music wire and an arbour in the vise, or in the chuck of the drill press. meanwhile I'll search for trampoline and lounger springs.

Can you not stretch the spring?
How stiff is it...is this possible to do by hand?
It looks similar to a trampoline spring, I'd guess the smaller type would be the closest in length.
If you don't know already, you can't pull a trampoline spring apart with a pair of vice grips,
so possibly way too stiff and ruin the thread.
I was quite disappointed to find that out, could still make a short travel heavy compression from it though.

Welding doesn't work on springs as they just flex at the soft weld area and then snap pretty quickly.
that was my thinking too but glad to have it confirmed by someone else.

I'm confused as to how a spring is used in a vice, can anyone explain?

that was my thinking too but glad to have it confirmed by someone else.

I'm confused as to how a spring is used in a vice, can anyone explain?

In a quick release vice the spring keeps the thread and nut together so the vice moves when the handle is turned. When you use the lever you force the nut open so you can slide the vice to the position you want and then when you let go the spring pushes it back together again.

In a quick release vice the spring keeps the thread and nut together so the vice moves when the handle is turned. When you use the lever you force the nut open so you can slide the vice to the position you want and then when you let go the spring pushes it back together again.
thank you

What exactly is it you can't do with the vice because of this broken spring? Can you still use the vice to hold work? After all the quick-release vice can be used without using the lever if you want the trouble. Maybe a spare from another manufacturer might fit. Best of luck John

Hi John

although the vise will work without the spring its really awkward to use because the screw for the jaws wont engage unless you apply pressure to the QR lever whilst turning the jaw handle. You need 3 hands to do this and position the workpiece in the jaws at the same time !

Back