Bedside cupboard/nightstand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
The wife keeps making the request when are you going to make my nightstand. She wants a cupboard and a top drawer version I keep looking at the web free plans but looking for something of a challenge. Not a DIY job. Anyone got a plan or a good link please?

Thank you Chris for the viewing of your nightstand collection, the wife has chosen ns7 (but I shall most probably add castors behind the plinth legs)

Have you any idea which web page the ns7 came from?

Devon,

I am afraid I can't help with the origin of the picture, I saved it after searching the web for such images but without any url reference. It may be possible to find it again if you do a Google image search for "nightstand" or similar words, that was probably how I found it the first time.

Good hunting!

Ok Chris

To be honest I have never attempted drawers in a cupboard before, that was why I went looking for the plan. I am trying to work out how to arrange draw runners and foundation for draw to lay on. I cant decide from picture whether the side panel is solid or a floating panel.

Suggestions from anyone appreciated.

Devon

The picture is not big enough to see clearly what is happening at the side but I would guess it's solid construction. The corner "posts" at the front would allow for either solid or frame and panel but I cannot see any top or bottom rails at the side for frame and panel.

In either case you can support a drawer in a number of ways. I would probably go for a web frame (to add strength to the overall piece and for lightness). It also provides the divider between drawer and cupboard doors.
You could use a solid panel in place of the web frame but that would be heavy and unnecessary structurally.

Side runners could also be used but in that case you would need to insert a separate divider b bween drawers and cupboard.

I think I would have made the sides as frame and panel rather than solid because it's more in keeping with the rest of the design.

May I recommend a book? It is "Rodale's Illustrated Cabinetmaking" by Bill Hylton. It is a very handy reference to all sorts of construction methods that are appropriate to different styles and periods of furniture. I find it a very handy reference.

ns7.jpg

OK Chris,
I think I shall make the side with two panels and make the divider double up as the runner for the draw as well.

Does this sound feasible?

Devon,

It sounds fine. I guess you mean two panels one above the other? Side by side they would be very narrow panels in piece that size. Not impossible but it might look a bit fussy.

i'm also in the middle of making a bedside cabinet.
with this project i'm making it all purely from pine, with the exception of a few panel pins. this is how it looks at the minute but i've still got a bit to do to it. i'll post the finished article when complete.
bedside.jpg

kenny.

Kenny,

Progress looks very good although I confess I am not sure if the panel is a drawer front or the back of the unit! I can see what look like kickers inside the top section but they would work for a drawer coming in from either direction of course.

To Dowels
Looks good , any details on the side panels would be appreciated

To Chris

Yes one panel above the other.
I downloaded some plans form the web this morning $8.95 not a fortune but very dissapointed with what I got . The web picture gave the impression of floating panels etc. but after downloading they turned out tobe a ply panels with dummy mouldings placed on. Dado/rabbets and screw joints. I think I will stick to free plans in the future.

to chris.............yeah thats the front of the cabinet, i suppose it would have been clearer had the drawer handle been on. i've done a bit more to it today............added the plinth, done a lot of sanding, added the top.
DSCF0611.jpg

this was taken just before the top was added, still got a bit of detailing to do.

to devon............with this cabinet i've used solid sides as that is what was requested. it wouldn't really matter what way you do it, i think its just down to personal choice. even though solid sides can mean a bit more weight.......i wouldn't be too worried as its just a small bedside cabinet. if it were something bigger then i would definately go with panelled sides.

kenny.

Back