Bedrock or not?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, a question for you more experienced toolies, I've had a look at 'Blood and Gore' which shows the Bedrock casting to have a flat centre section of the sidewall. Is this an absolute, meaning if a casting has the usual rounded profile, it's not a Bedrock?
TIA chris

Thanks for the reply and also for the correct term. regards chris

I don't want to seem to hijack this thread but as it seems to going quiet will you please forgive a supplementary question.

As a relative new comer to all this stuff have I been wrong in believing that when looking for an all metal plane the Bedrock is the pinnacle of design and performance? I have read somewhere recently that some Baileys are just as good if not better than the hallowed Bedrock. If you're not going to spend your days adjusting the mouth of your plane does the Bedrock have other qualities that make it worth paying the premium?

Thanks for your tolerance.
Simon

Saint Simon":dn9s6vt7 said:
I have read somewhere recently that some Baileys are just as good if not better than the hallowed Bedrock.
I think that's just ill-considered comment. A Bedrock would have to have manufacturing faults to be not as good as a Bailey.

Saint Simon":dn9s6vt7 said:
If you're not going to spend your days adjusting the mouth of your plane does the Bedrock have other qualities that make it worth paying the premium?
To me, the main feature of the Bedrock design is the large mating surface between the frog and body, making it rock solid.

However, I'd be loathe to pay big money for a Stanley Bedrock when Lie-Nielsen and Clifton make modern ones of similar quality, and without the wear and tear of the Stanley. If you can pick up a cheap Stanley Bedrock, fair enough.

Cheers, Vann.

Back