Bedec MSP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Student

Established Member
Reaction score
Mike G has successfully converted me to using Bedec MSP for various purposes e.g. painting MDF, a galvanised garage door, touching up some concrete render (instead of buying litres of Sandtex) etc. My next project will be to paint some radiators and I wondered whether the MSP was suitable as I have almost a whole tin left over from a previous decorating project.

Yes it will be fine as I've done the same.

However it may need 3-4 coats. I found it a bit thin but it was on semi gloss rads

MikeG

What is the background to this post - what applications have you used this paint for and how long ago did you first use it.
Thanks.

I've been using and specifying Bedec paint (MSP and Barn Paint) for about 10 years now, I reckon. I have specified it for everything from exterior joinery* (windows, doors, conservatories, pentice boards etc), soffits and fascias, to kitchens, second fix joinery inside, including stairs, and for an architect it is one of those safe products which you know you won't have any come-back with. I have also used gallons of both MSP and Barn paint myself, including for all my outbuildings and for the entirety of my own home-made kitchen including the internal (solid wood) shelves, and it is universally superb. It's pricey, has a poor range of colours, and can take a coat or two more than other paints to achieve the finish you want, but it is robust. I can honestly say that I have never had a single failure, either in my own experience, or in the many jobs where I have specified it for other people. As a minor bonus, it is water based and all-but odourless (I'm told, I have anosmia) so applying it is a far more pleasant experience than using an oil based undercoat and gloss.

*It is from the same basic category of paints as the factory applied micro-porous flexible water based paints which are sprayed onto higher class windows and doors, and which tend to last at least 15 years before they need touching up.

I have no connection with Bedec. I wish I had, as the pippers charge me full whack for the stuff! :) I shall be using it on an up-coming wooden greenhouse in the spring (and there is an issue.........it isn't suitable for application outdoors in the winter as it can't be used below a certain temperature).

I have a larch woodpile "shed" to paint. Is this stuff suitable to be sprayed from HVLP? Can I just put this on without primer. the shed is awkward to get to the back so want to spray

I can confirm that you can spray it. Usual spraying rules apply though, always strain (even a new unopened tin) and thin as required.

I have sprayed it with the Graco Airless with no thinning required but with a HVLP it will probably need a drop of water in it.

Droogs":2zwkd1b6 said:
I have a larch woodpile "shed" to paint. Is this stuff suitable to be sprayed from HVLP? Can I just put this on without primer. the shed is awkward to get to the back so want to spray

Use Barn Paint, not MSP......and yes, as Will says, you can spray it. It doesn't need a primer (in fact, it doesn't work with a primer, it's designed to go onto bare sawn wood). The first coat is thinned. I actually thin the first coat more than the manufacturer's recommend, and thin the second coat slightly. Don't expect to get the claimed coverage (as usual with most paint manufacturers).

Could I jump in with a question, please?
We've been asked to repaint the ceiling in a high use bath room, where the occupants appear to shower for ages at a time. Current bathroom 'emulsion' is peeling in places. They've added a stronger extractor fan.
So will MSP be appropriate for the ceiling?
Thanks in advance
Greg

By way of an update, the telephone number that MikeG gave for Bedec's technical department was actually for the technical department of Bedec's main online stockist. Bedec's own technical department's number is 01279 876657.

N.B. Bedec told me that MSP is fine for radiators provided that they are cold when painting.

gregmcateer":l754kju7 said:
Could I jump in with a question, please?
We've been asked to repaint the ceiling in a high use bath room, where the occupants appear to shower for ages at a time. Current bathroom 'emulsion' is peeling in places. They've added a stronger extractor fan.
So will MSP be appropriate for the ceiling?
Thanks in advance
Greg

You will need to take the old rubbish off first. Then you can use a range of paints - they usually peel because first coat not adhered well

I admit I was deeply sceptical of MSP but my FIL had had his window frames painted with it. We used it on our renovated 100+ year wooden frames and its been great. Five years on and still looking good.

Back