bed size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed451

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the proper interior dimensions for the frame of King and Queen size beds? I've searched the archives on this forum but haven't found much. Alternatively, does anyone know how much space I should leave as clearance outside the dimensions of the box-spring? I suppose I could buy the box-spring and mattress, then make the bed frame to fit it after measuring (maybe this would be the best idea?).

Ed

ed we got a king size mattress from ikea and made the bed to fit the mattress the size is 161x200cm hope this helps

frank

You're welcome. There are other great reference materials on that site as well.

Have fun.

Mike
the one who is still not only putting off the promised dining room table and chairs, but has promised a new bed too :oops:

MikeW":1xb6cuqy said:
the one who is still not only putting off the promised dining room table and chairs, but has promised a new bed too :oops:

Would there be any point in you making that furniture? You couldn't put a dining table and chairs in your dining room because there's too much wood stored there, if memory serves me correctly. My knowledge of how much space is available in your bedroom is (mercifully) incomplete. :mrgreen:

Gill

Ha, thanks Gill.

Well, the dining room area is available...when I'm not doing glue-ups in it. Right now I've been doing a lot of veneer, so I have a work center of sorts set up in it. But which table is used for a work surface would be the issue :roll:

The bedroom is fairly insulated from use--except Dina's store of wood in the closet :lol: .

But I won't be doing anything for a bit. Seems like a 38mm Sorby paring chisel and my stomach had a fight last night. The stomach lost :shock:

My biggest problem at the moment is if I get the commission I just bid on where I'm going to build it. It's a 16 foot conference table. My living room is only 17.5 feet long :wink:

Mike

Mike,

I'm glad you are still with us to relate the paring chisel story. I sure hope you recover quickly!

A few details would be of interest - not just to satisfy an unwholesome interest in blood and gore but might be useful to all us chisel users out here!

Ed I see you are in Canada so presume you refer to king & queen sized beds the same as USA sizes.
They are 6ft & 5ft wide whereas in UK a 5ft wide bed is called a 'king'size.
The frame should be made accordingly.
I have noticed here that many matresses are different lengths.
I bought my queensize (5') bed in South Africa for which I have to buy UK kingsize sheets.
I soon realised the matress is longer than the beds sold here so am glad I brought the frame back with me or the mattress would stick out beyond the frame.
I'm glad my wife talked me out of buying a kingsized bed or we would have been unable to find sheets to fit easily.

Thanks, everyone, for all the replies. I checked with the furniture company and they state their king size bed is 80" long and 78" wide. I'll make the frame to fit those dimensions, plus an inch or so for extra clearance. Now comes the fun part: choosing a design.

Ed :)

Ed
Just a word of warning. Over here bed sizes vary. When we bought our last mattress, the shop guy told me that the dimensions were accurate only to the nearest INCH, they could be an inch either way and still be within accepted ISO tolerances! So if your matress comes in at 79", and you have made the frame for 81", plus a bit for your fingers and the linen, you may end up with a very sloppy fit indeed.

On the other hand, I didn't really allow enough for fingers on mine, and making the bed is always more difficult than it should be.

BTW,
I used to do some work for a local furniture company. They had made a bed for a client, and the client complained that the bed was too big for the mattress and the mattress "moves around too much".....

Cheers
Steve

So you're suggesting, then, that I wait for delivery of my bed, measure it and make the frame at that time? OOOO I don't know if the missus is going to go for that. I wouldn't be too bad if the company gives me a frame to use in the interim.

Ed :)

Back