Beautiful Wood furniture with cast aluminium

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helvetica

Established Member
Reaction score
I had to share this work by a product designer called Hilla Shamia working out of Tel Aviv. She pours molten aluminium onto logs and the metal fills the cracks and burns the bottom to amazing effect. I wonder would this be an alternative method to a butterfly joint to fill up the 1" crack in my workbench?

wood-stools-cast-in-aluminum-01.jpg

wood-stools-cast-in-aluminum-02.jpg

wood-stools-cast-in-aluminum-03.jpg

wood-stools-cast-in-aluminum-04.jpg

Attachments

• wood-stools-cast-in-aluminum-01.jpg
    wood-stools-cast-in-aluminum-01.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 931
  • wood-stools-cast-in-aluminum-02.jpg
    wood-stools-cast-in-aluminum-02.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 896
  • wood-stools-cast-in-aluminum-03.jpg
    wood-stools-cast-in-aluminum-03.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 904
  • wood-stools-cast-in-aluminum-04.jpg
    wood-stools-cast-in-aluminum-04.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 921
I love those, they're right up my street. I'd worry a bit about the effects of movement in the timber though??

They're good, but there's something just not quite perfect about them, anyone have ideas what it is? Maybe the metal needs more polish? I'm not sure...

Aidan

Yes, to get a real contrast a more polished, or at least evenly textured aluminium surface would be better I think. But maybe that's not possible due to the casting process?

TheTiddles":d0thkyw2 said:
They're good, but there's something just not quite perfect about them, anyone have ideas what it is? Maybe the metal needs more polish? I'm not sure...

Aidan

I think it is the legs, they just still look rough cast.

I quite like this, I think I'd prefer the ali to be polished. I like the contrast between metal and timber. I made some pestles and mortar's with some very cracked oak. I filled the cracks with brass powder and super glue. The affect was nice.

Back