Bearing Replacement - Record Power - DML 305

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modicon

Reaction score
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone had attempted changing the head-stock bearings on a DML305 as indicated in the attachment (item 5)? I've noticed the noise levels increasing over time plus when sanding if I put slight pressure on the bottom of the bowl the noise stops. Pretty sure its the bearings just curious if anyone else has done this before.

Thanks

Attachments

• 305.JPG
    305.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 252
Is item 4 listed as a taper bearing? if so it is most likely this just needs adjusting for clearance at best, or changing at worst .

I can't make out from that exploded view where the spindle retention is or any axial loading is adjusted.

Hi,

I noticed that as well however the strange thing is that item 4 is listed as "Spindle Shaft" so I originally thought you would have to buy the shaft and bearing as a complete unit. Item 5 I can pick up from anywhere as its a standard bearing part number is given (luckily!).

I've not opened it up yet as dont want to wreck it. Still works fine just noisy (and annoying). Bit risky to cause any damage when on lock down as turning is keep me busy! If item 4 is a taper roller I'll get the details.

Thanks

From that diagram, item 4 is the shaft and bearing combined. Obviously they feel that the parts should be changed at the same time.

Its quite possible you could remove the bearing, but its equally possibly it was heat shrunk onto the shaft at the factory.
I suggest finding out how much they want for the sub assembly before possibly wrecking one to remove the other.

Good idea, I'll get some prices together. If its heat shrunk I wouldn't stand a chance of removing.

Cant see this being a cheap part to buy somehow going from previous purchases!!!

Nothing is ever easy!

Regards

Theres the rub. Removing it is easy, hammer chisel, nut splitter, grinder.
Putting the new one back however......... :roll: :lol: :lol:
Not saying it IS, just saying it MIGHT. 8)

modicon":1ouom55r said:
Good idea, I'll get some prices together. If its heat shrunk I wouldn't stand a chance of removing.

Cant see this being a cheap part to buy somehow going from previous purchases!!!

Nothing is ever easy!

Regards

If this is indeed a taper roller bearing there should be a method of adjusting the loading, and from your comment that the noise disappears when you press against the spindle nose adjusting the loading should reduce the noise.

Ok so heard back from a very helpful guy at Record.

Item 4, the spindle shaft, does not have a bearing fitted. The only bearings are item 5, so maybe all is not lost! Replace the 3 and hopefully jobs a good'un.

Thanks for the advice.

Back