Bearing replacement - pipper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homerjh

Established Member
Reaction score
having a play with the lathe (Record Power 0 ) and had a catch then a noisy bearing started soon after.

managed to get the drive shaft and bearings out (after there were 2 screw to remove with the allen key, came out easily then!)

the big bearing that appears to have failed is the big one (NIN 6204z) but wondering if it is worth getting a new one for the other side while i am here. it is quite 'grindy' but when spinning makes a racket.

Also any preferred types to buy, or is it possible to regrease them? the lathe is quite old so likely they may be servicable?

thanks.

I prefer to use SKF or FAG being good quality Makes. Metric standard bearings are ‘cheap’ and I personally replace all of them when I remove a shaft if any of them is failing. The others will have potentially seen excess stresses. In your case the other bearing definitely needs replacing if it’s anything but smooth.

I’ve found these people to offer excellent prices and service

http://www.bearingsrus.co.uk

Ordered from there, was going to use amazon but always suspicious about quality control of some items, but £7.10 delivered, just need to find a belt now!

Homerjh":26oibtvw said:
Ordered from there, was going to use amazon but always suspicious about quality control of some items, but £7.10 delivered, just need to find a belt now!

Do you still have the belt if so look for some info printed on it or take it to a bearing and belt suppliers

They sell belts as well! I try to buy Gates if I can. Cheap belts can take a set very quickly and that not only stops things running smoothly but also significantly reduces the life of the bearings.

Looks like poly v 180 U4.

So the 4 is the rib number, not sure what the u is. Also seems to be 17" long but online the 180 is the eighteen inch.

Confused now!

all ordered.

emailed them and they rang to get payment so they could add the belt, saves another P&P charge.

came out at £14.10 all in, 2 SKF bearings and whatever the belt is.

Annoying, as the bearing only seemed to go noisy after a catch on the chuck, but when they were both removed they were not as smooth as bearings should be.

but VERY pleased at the ease of removal of parts, just the stupid 2 allen bolts, one was removed and thought it was seized on the shaft, after much hammering i looked and there were 2, removed the 2nd and it was fine, came away with light tapping with a mallet.

once all confirmed and working will put a new post with details on parts as couldn't find anything about the lathe online!

Back