Bearing markings and finding equivalents - help much valued!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping I'm not an silly person, but fear it may be the case.
I decided to refurbish my pillar drill (a Meddings Driltru Mk2) as a gentle introduction to maintaining/overhauling my tools.
I've got it mostly to bits (and most of the bits are mostly the correct size/shape rather than just, you know, bits).
I need to replace some bearings. In micro-font I can just about read "Hoffmann L9PP V3 and LS9 V3 on the larger pair. Any advice on where to find equivalents (i.e. imperial)?

I also can't get the spindle out of the quill (the only assembly left to detach). Do I just put the bottom of the quill on an open vice and tap away on the spindle with a block of wood and mallet?

Final question for now - lots of videos out there showing rust/grime removal with wire brushes. Is this ok or does it pipper up the tolerances?

Thanks very much for any points

Yours,
A nervous newby to refurbishment.

Thank you! Now I've found RLS7 ZZ which is sized correctly... But there are choices.
Is it worth paying £35 for the brand versus £5 forthe budget?

pass. I struggled to fit mine, so it is still in pieces.

Deadeye":3ms79m95 said:
Is it worth paying £35 for the brand versus £5 forthe budget?

Depends on how often you feel you would like to tear down your drill and replace the bearings :lol:

To be honest, in a hobby environment the budget bearings would last quite a long time compared to an industrial environment for obvious reasons. But on the other side of the coin, the budget bearings will have a quite rough grounding and balls, will wear faster because of it and not only that, they will be far less accurate straight out of the box than say a SFK or FAG bearing and ideally you want your pillar drill to be as accurate as possible. On a machine where it's accuracy is dependant on the quality the bearings, do you really want to pennypinch?

In my opinion, don't skimp out and buy cheap bearings, get the best you can afford because you won't regret it. Also, get 2RS bearings and not ZZ ones, the 2RS is far better at keeping the grease in and the crud out.

Back