Bearing Change

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerboyce

Established Member
Reaction score
Need to change the headstock bearings on my ten year old Nova 3000.
Local company want 37.80 for the two, whereas online I`ve found them (like for like) for 21.22.
Being aware that there are a lot of snide (fake) oem bearings about, can anyone recommend a reputable firm to deal with. Or should I bite it and go local, although still no guarantee.
While I`m at it, are there any nova owners on here who have changed their bearings to give a few pointers.
Cheers
Steve

I have a Nova 1624-44 but have never had a bearing change.
If you look Links at the top of the page you will find the lathe owners link,
Some of them have Nova 3000 I'm sure if you PM some of them they may be
able to help you out.

farmerboyce":uq8irciz said:
Need to change the headstock bearings on my ten year old Nova 3000.
Local company want 37.80 for the two, whereas online I`ve found them (like for like) for 21.22.
Being aware that there are a lot of snide (fake) oem bearings about, can anyone recommend a reputable firm to deal with. Or should I bite it and go local, although still no guarantee.
While I`m at it, are there any nova owners on here who have changed their bearings to give a few pointers.
Cheers
Steve

As a guide to whether I should change the bearings on an old Wadkins lathe, what are you identifying, Steve, as showing that the bearings should be changed ?

Rob

Oldwood
I was getting a low rumbling noise at low speeds, and could feel a flat spot on at least one or two balls when turning the spindle by hand. Not too bad a job to remove old bearings, but much wailing and gnashing of teeth trying to put new ones in. Inboard bearing in situ, and outboard bearing on spindle has been in the freezer overnight to hopefully allow an easy fit this morning.
Boycie
Thanks for the heads up
Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, I will go and have a listen and a feel.

When you're dealing with something that is is probably in the era of 40 years old (unfortunately the serial number plate is missing), and has a long belt drive, it's difficult to decide if the general noisieness is in the bearings or due to the long belt, and resonance in the cast iron column.

Rob

Back