beading tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumor that Veritas has a new beading tool in the works and a UK woodworking magazine had a scoop on it.

Has anyone come across mention or pictures of a new beading tool? Is it wood, metal, due out on April 1st 2009? :duno:

regards,
Dave

It's not supposed to be a joke. I just wondered if the person that mentioned it was pulling my leg. :wink:

Dave

I really did see it in a recent UK mag (while browsing - so didn't buy it). It is along the lines of a metal version of their wooden one. But much nicer and higher tech. Really nice design from memory.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I knew you were being upfront -- I just came up empty-handed in my web search. :lol:

Dave

I really did see it in a recent UK mag (while browsing - so didn't buy it). It is along the lines of a metal version of their wooden one. But much nicer and higher tech. Really nice design from memory.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nice try Derek but pull the other one, :-({|= You'll be saying next you bought one of these
dodeca1.jpg
:lol:

Did you do the review on this one?
05m0242s1.jpg

I can't find the smoother plane extra thick blade, I would love to try one out though (homer)

ydb1md":34ba0n3d said:
I heard a rumor that Veritas has a new beading tool in the works and a UK woodworking magazine had a scoop on it.

Has anyone come across mention or pictures of a new beading tool? Is it wood, metal, due out on April 1st 2009? :duno:

regards,
Dave

Hi Dave -

Despite the leg pulling going on here, there is a new beading tool about to hit the streets. Our production schedule shows it available in quantity starting the week of December 5th. We have a few other things in the shop ahead of it.... :wink:

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":d7aw0qfy said:
Despite the leg pulling going on here, there is a new beading tool about to hit the streets.

Well now, ain't that interesting. I am kind of a fan of beading ... I just like the look, especially on backing boards, etc. I can get kind of carried away but try to keep it under control :) I have:

- A Veritas Beading Tool. This works well, and the blades are made well. Being a scratch stock, it is damn slow; too slow for shiplapped backing boards, but fast enough for smallers bits o'beads. A lovely sharp quirk. Its biggest flaw is that being one handed, it tends to twist a little if you are doing hard wood, espeically if you are doing something wacky like beading around shaped maple where it goes cross the end-grain (which will stress your tool and try your patience). You then tend to grip too hard and get hand cramps. But all in all, a good tool.
- A LN Bronze Beading Tool. Extremely lovely blades and I like the two handled design. I think the fence design is flawed and tends to shift. The two handled design is definitely better then the Veritas for doing long straight sections, but I have found it isn't nearly as maneuverable for small detail work as the Veritas. As a result, these two complement each other nicely.
- A set of beading planes (probably 8?). Got these from Inchmark. These are very nice and, if you need to bead a lot o straight runs, they are wonderful. Butt ... the ones I got are bedded at 45 degrees and have a bit of a fat quirk for my tastes (not as fat as a router bit, but not the wonderful delicate one either). Probably designed for softwood that is being painted over. Of course, it doesn't go 'round shapes or do very delicate careful work. But I do enjoy using them.
- Got a bunch of router bits too....

So, I got a lot of beading stuff. I might even have a beading problem. Am I gonna be buying more, Rob? It will be really interesting to see what you fellars have come up with. I've already been poking around for a set of york pitch or higher beading planes (they do a much nicer bead then a router bit) with a fine quirk.

Lord Nibbo":teugmwos said:
(snip)

Nice try Derek but pull the other one, :-({|= You'll be saying next you bought one of these

(snip)

Well....

I don't which magazine Derek's referring to...but I am pretty sure there's a handsome, yet follicularly challenged, woodworking editor in the UK that has one... :shock: :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":1t9mj2cr said:
Well....

I don't which magazine Derek's referring to...but I am pretty sure there's a handsome, yet follicularly challenged, woodworking editor in the UK that has one... :shock: :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

Ok! Ok! now I've heard it from the horses mouth I believe you :lol:

Nice of you to take the time out to post a reply Robin, so many thanks from me =D>

So with other goodies in the pipeline before christmas any chance of prior notice on the forum of dates so we can get our orders in quick? :lol:

Can someone in the UK do us a favor and locate that magazine? Maybe post a picture for us? [-o< [-o< [-o<

Lord Nibbo":1bxtx283 said:
(snip)

So with other goodies in the pipeline before christmas any chance of prior notice on the forum of dates so we can get our orders in quick? :lol:

Wow - there's a vote of confidence... don't you even want to know what it looks like, or how much it costs???? :shock: :lol: :lol:

It's actually a design inspired by the range of Preston quirk routers, but it's still a significant departure. It can be used as a RH tool, or a LH tool, with a curved or straight fence, and with our blades, other blades, or home-made blades. is has an adjustble grip, or you can make your own handles (aka - the "Alf Doctrine" :wink: )....

No retail price set yet - and I wouldn't quote 'em until we actually start shipping stock... too many currencies emulating ping-pong balls right now...( USD went up 3 cents in the last 5 hours!!!)...

We'll know more in a few more weeks....

Cheers -

Rob

Ahh, so still scraping based. Veddy interesting ... I won't give up on those cabinetmakers beading planes, but still, the Preston looked pretty neat; given some improvements, it could be a real winner. I forsee eBay for the LN...

Paul Kierstead":147i8bjl said:
Ahh, so still scraping based. Veddy interesting ... I won't give up on those cabinetmakers beading planes, but still, the Preston looked pretty neat; given some improvements, it could be a real winner. I forsee eBay for the LN...

Hi -

Yes - still scraping based... you got it! I was debating clarifying the "inspired by quirk routers" comment - as it really was just inspiration, and not emulation...

Cheers -

Rob

So, sort of like one of these . . . .

et344.view01.jpg

with handles like these

05p3301s5.jpg

but with an improved blade clamp and decent fences.

Hmmm sounds very nice indeed. I'm guessing it'll come w/ a 50% premium over a spokeshave. Not bad at all . . . . 8)

ydb1md":2plgla06 said:
(snip)

Hmmm sounds very nice indeed. I'm guessing it'll come w/ a 50% premium over a spokeshave. Not bad at all . . . . 8)

Now this is the point of the discussion where I should just not say anything.... and let you guys rationalize where it should be priced...I honestly wasn't shooting that high... :-k :whistle: ... but could be convinced...

Cheers -

Rob

Paul Chapman":3evv588v said:
Rob Lee":3evv588v said:
...I honestly wasn't shooting that high... :-k

OK, 50% less than a spokeshave :lol:

Whatever it costs, it sounds good 8)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Spoilsport.... :wink:

It should end up around the same price, give or take. I'm not sure we've decided on which, or how many, blades will be included....

Cheers -

Rob

Hi Rob

Yes, I would agree that a Preston quirk router plane would resemble what I saw. It struck me so at the time.

Regards from Perth

Derek (who went back to the newsagent to look for the mag, but all were gone)

Back