beading tools for multiple identical beads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shay Vings

Established Member
Reaction score
The cheapest option for me seems to be the Sorby beading cutters for my existing RS200KT at around £13 each per 2 beads
Alternatives are single bead tools, e.g. Sorby, ashley, crown etc or the Sorby easy beader. All cost considerably more.

[attachment=0]beading.jpg[/attachment]

However, the Sorby beading cutters RS236/239 do seem to have rather wide shoulders compared to the single beaders, but presumably they work OK?

Any comments ?

Attachments

• beading.jpg
    beading.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,309
You could always grind the Sorby wings off if they're too wide?

If you have any old HSS planer blades you could make your own cutters with a dremel grinding wheel to cut the groove and a tile drill (pointed TCT spade type) to cut the 5mm hole (use a dremel to dimple the HSS first).

If you haven't any old planer blades then you could buy a metalworking lathe tool from here...
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/High-Speed-Steel-Toolbits

HTH
Jon

Remember that these tools are basically scrapers, and to perform well they need to be very sharp.

Tools such as the Ashley Iles are very easy to sharpen on a wheel/belt or touch up with a diamond card and have many years of use in them because the flutes are long just like a turning gouge.

Flat beading cutters of a similar pattern to those used in hand tools are not easy to sharpen, you have to either have a profiled stone to match the cove or flatten the top surface with an abrasive stone or plate. In hand tools the cutting edge lasts for some time, on a lathe in my experience it is considerably shorter.

Or you could buy a cheap spindle gouge and make your own beading tool by grinding it similar to the square bar tools shown in the photo.
Or cheaper still - practice your beading by hand with a gouge, skew, three point tool or beading/parting tool.

i have to agree with paul
much more satisfying to practice and learn to do with a skew chisel
best of luck
paul-c

Back