Beading Router Bit for Ledge and Brace Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making some arched ledge and brace doors for a customer who is restoring a chapel, and he wants these doors to have a corner bead on one of the edges where the boards will join.

There are a lot of manufacturers that make beading router bits, but my problem is i cannot make up my mind on what size of bit to use. So my question is what size of bead would look right? The doors will be 7ft 6ins high and made up of 4 oak boards joined together in 3 places, so there will be 3 beads running the full length of the doors.

I realise that it maybe difficult to try and picture what size i will need, but i would appreciate it if you could give me your opinion anyway. Or does any of you have ledge and brace doors in your house that has this sort of beading?

Regards

Woody

Whats the width of the door or the width of each board? I would think that this would play a big difference in the size of the bead.......

Simon

Like this Woody?
beading1.jpg

This spans across one elm panel..the second bead isn't that clear..sorry.

beading2.jpg

The bead is about 9mm and a 4mm bevel

beadingbrace.jpg

The back brace is also beaded and bevelled. Hope this helps

Roger

Woody
By the sounds of it, I'd opt on the BIG side! ½"or even ¾" bead?
Big doors on a chapel can handle chunky detailing IMHO.

Simon, each door (double doors) will be 3ft, and so each board will be 9 inches wide.

Roger, Aragorn, thanks very much. I think that i will take an offcut down to my local dealer and ask him if i can try both of your sizes out to see which is best.

Regards

Woody

Cheers Woody.....I'd agree with Aragorn on the 1/2 or 3/4......myself I'd probably go for the 3/4 as doors of this size would be able to hold up with that size bead....

Sorry for the late reply......let us know what you go with in the end....

Simon

Simon, Aragorn, After checking out the LARGE cast hinges the client is going to use and running a few test cuts on a number of different size bits, i went for the 19mm cutter. I think that anything smaller then this would not have looked right.

The 19mm makes a very large bead, and IMHO it would be out of place on smaller doors. So if anyone is thinking about buying one of these cutters do try and run a test bead before you buy.
Having tested the 9mm that Roger suggested, i think that this would be about right for most standard size doors.

Regards

Woody

Back