Be Careful....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blurk99

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a brief warning/reminder etc...

I was turning a 10" bowl from She Oak last night, dovetail recessed and cutting the inside when it broke up on me and my left forearm, steadying the bowl gouge on the toolrest, took the impact.
Off to the A + E dept. later as i think it could have chipped a bone at least, though i don't think it's officially 'broken' but there's a lot of swelling going on there...

So although the grain effect in She Oak is lovely i'd assume i had too much 'expansion pressure' from the jaws and it split along the grain. Odd because i was leaving the bowl about 3/4 inch think and it should have been strong enough...

anyway, remember to stop the lathe and check for splits that are in the process of developing as the work progresses, thinking about it, i heard a 'ticking' sound whilst cutting which was probably the split starting to open up

Jim

Jim,

I feel for you - I have visited A&E more often as a woodworker than anything else and that includes racing motorcycles, rock climbing, dinghy racing and several other things that might be thought rather more dangerous.

hope you get better soon, i nearly lost a nail at the weekend on the chuck still hurts like hell, im now dressed like Darth Vader whenever i use the Lathe :oops:

Back