Be careful when you sell that smartphone!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it had already been reset fully then how were you seeing the photos?

I don't have an iPhone, but I assume there are different modes of reseting? fully data wipe, and partial settings wipe?

Indeed there are.

iphone reset settings.png

I suspect that he opted for Reset All Settings ( assuming that it deleted data as well). I did check to see if there was any obvious data anywhere and didn't see anything. Of course not being familiar with Selfies, although I looked at the Photos library and saw nothing, Selfies must be kept in another part of the library.

So really, it's just a heads up as per the thread title to alert people to making sure that they delete everything when they get rid of the phone.

Years ago I bought a used Nikon D700 body as a backup camera. The seller included four SanDisk 16GB CF cards with the camera since he couldn't use them for his other cameras. He should have destroyed them or put a little more effort into wiping the images so they couldn't be easily recovered with the basic SanDisk recovery tool.

Years ago I bought a used Nikon D700 body as a backup camera. The seller included four SanDisk 16GB CF cards with the camera since he couldn't use them for his other cameras. He should have destroyed them or put a little more effort into wiping the images so they couldn't be easily recovered with the basic SanDisk recovery tool.

why were you trying to recover images from the cards?

Mainly to ensure there was nothing on the cards that shouldn't be there.
Absolutely. Imagine the consequences of the car with illegal images on and then, perchance, getting your camera checked out by the fuzz...a longshot, I know but it could happen. Same reason why those folk who live in blocks of flats and don't secure their wi-fi. Any Tom, Dick or Harry could piggyback off their IP address.

I meant - why not just wipe it? (full slow format)

I hoped the short answer would do, but since you ask again, you will receive the longer answer. I am curious by nature and profession. While working for the federal government, I was also a part-time law enforcement officer in Virginia, mainly working in the Patrol Division but sometimes helping with CID investigations. If something doesn't look correct to me, I will pursue as many rabbit holes as I want until I am satisfied with the outcome, or run out of rabbit holes.

In accordance with the 4th Amendment to our Constitution, anything legally discovered that is potential evidence of illegal activity is fair game for further investigations. Some criminal activities are discovered by chance, and as long as the subject's rights against illegal search and seizure are not violated, then the evidence can be admitted in criminal court. For example, if I stop a driver for a traffic violation, and while I'm talking to the driver, I notice the driver's speech is slurred and I observe in plain sight what appears to be a well-used crack pipe and a large bag of white crystalline material on the passenger seat. This is sufficient evidence for me to continue with another direction in my traffic stop. This did happen, and it didn't fare well for the driver. He unwittingly broke my "Never do two or more stupid things at the same time" rule. If you're transporting just under a kilogram of crack, don't run a stop sign.

In the case of the CF cards, I wasn't expecting them because the advert didn't mention them and there was a hand-written note explaining why the cards were in the box with the camera body. Had I noticed any illegal images on the cards, I would have take the appropriate action based on my training. However, they were images of a not-so-bashful adult female, so I did completely wipe the cards. When I eventually sold the D700 to someone else, I didn't include any cards with it.

Back