BBC The Repair Shop polish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember correctly the buildings where re-located when Bewl Bridge and Mountfield reservoir valley's where damed, we where constructing Littlebrook D power station at the time and during the national strike took a group of engineers there to see the re-erection of the timber frame buildings.

@mrpercysnodgrass
It is Series 5 Episode 30 The Syrian Chair. He uses this polish a lot and always paints it on.
AJB Temple
Yes, Steve and Suzie are brother and sister. They all have their own shops businesses and metalwork, some woodwork and art conservation is removed to their respective studios and workshops.

I love the programme but as someone said it'd be great to see a more in-depth
restoration of the items uploaded to the Beeb website.

Well there’s a coincidence, it was at West Dean that I did my chair making course, three days and we started with a green log of oak and I came away with a wonderful Windsor chair. The only bit that was supplied was the seat blank as to cut that from a green log and dry it would’ve taken us over the time allotted. Ian
83E435AE-1C40-46BC-9E0F-2C8E4F84A300.jpeg

Surprisingly from reading on line, Will is around 35 years old. I thought he was early twenties! Has a restoration training and background.

Lijongtao; coming back to the shellac, I tend to use this a lot just brushed on as well. I keep brushes just for that. (Round ones). I also use it for French polishing (French polishing is a method not a product; you buy shellac and then you French polish with it). I have a few different shellacs I make up - Blonde, Button and Garnet and they keep very well. I normally mix these to '2lb cut' which when converted to metric is basically 24gm flakes per 100ml meths. The biggest problem I have is keeping the flakes in storage as they clump together and take a bit to break up again. John Penny Restoration is a good resource.

West Dean: great place, they do lots of practical courses. I have only done one course there but have friends who do lots.

Surprisingly from reading on line, Will is around 35 years old. I thought he was early twenties! Has a restoration training and background.

Coulda fooled me and I am in my early twenties. Proper baby face on him, he probably still gets asked for ID at the door!:LOL:

Yes, I thought that he was mid twenties. A bit like my daughter, she's 37, and up to a couple of years ago she would be asked for ID.

I must get round to going back to the Weald and Downland Museum. Had a look on their website a couple of weeks ago. It's changed a bit since I went there about twenty five years ago, and now with having to pre-book tickets, you're very much at the mercy of the weather. It's a very interesting place though if you have an interest in historical buildings.

Nigel.

I’d recommend Amberley over Weald and Downland, just down the road and a great day out
Aidan

Nice chair!
I have asked him on Insta and Twitter but got no reply. He doesn't reply to many people.
Where can I buy different colours of shellac? I fancied making it but as suggested probably best to buy it at first until I find my feet. I went to my local B&Q and they only had one very small bottle in and it was expensive. Where do you guys buy yours from and are there any good suppliers of tools, ie. chisels, planes etc.
I am a former NHS nurse but have been having Chemo and Radio inc a stem cell transplant for 12 years now and finally getting back on my feet although unable to work ever again as I have necrosis in some of my bones. I am up and well although I take it easy as advised but would love to get back into woodworking. I lost a huge part of my memory with my brain radio so may have a million and one questions for you so please bear with me. Also, may ask the same question twice (my wife loves that one!!)

I'd love to get back into French polishing and general tinkering with wood so need some chisels and woodworking tools, so any heads up where you guys buy from is much appreciated. My real name is Simon. I use Lijong as my bank account was hacked and they took the lot so now use another name on the internet to protect myself. So Li or Simon will do. Hope you understand.

Nice chair!
I have asked him on Insta and Twitter but got no reply. He doesn't reply to many people.
Where can I buy different colours of shellac? I fancied making it but as suggested probably best to buy it at first until I find my feet. I went to my local B&Q and they only had one very small bottle in and it was expensive. Where do you guys buy yours from and are there any good suppliers of tools, ie. chisels, planes etc.
I am a former NHS nurse but have been having Chemo and Radio inc a stem cell transplant for 12 years now and finally getting back on my feet although unable to work ever again as I have necrosis in some of my bones. I am up and well although I take it easy as advised but would love to get back into woodworking. I lost a huge part of my memory with my brain radio so may have a million and one questions for you so please bear with me. Also, may ask the same question twice (my wife loves that one!!)

I'd love to get back into French polishing and general tinkering with wood so need some chisels and woodworking tools, so any heads up where you guys buy from is much appreciated. My real name is Simon. I use Lijong as my bank account was hacked and they took the lot so now use another name on the internet to protect myself. So Li or Simon will do. Hope you understand.
Hi Simon

Where to buy tools from is a big question. You will get a lot of advice on here about buying old tools and fettling them into tip top condition which in itself is a satisfying process. Classic Hand Tools, Workshop Heaven, Workshop Heaven and Wood Workers Workshop are worth browsing and in my experience are good people to deal with for new stuff. Rather than repeat it all I would recommend you have a flick back through the Tools forum and then ask any specific questions.

If you are looking for shellac I would suggest taking a look at Restexpress.co.uk or Workshop Heaven.

Cheers

@Lijongtao Hi and a warm welcome to the forum. You have my deepest respect for going through what you have, i have just had to go through similar this year and once (hopefully) is bad enough. Never fear to ask questions here as we all have gaps in what we know and usually someone here is able to fill it.

regarding geting shellac it is best not to buy ready made as it is very expensive for what it is. The site below is a UK wholesale supplier of dried flakes that you mix up yourself to what ever "cut" of finish you want

https://www.afsuter.com/product/dewaxed-shellac-flakes/

HTH

Hi and welcome, tools. Depends how deep your pockets are, You certainly don’t have to spend the sort of money that workshop heaven charge and still do a perfectly good job, this is probably contentious, but in my eyes a sharp chisel is a sharp chisel, a plastic handle may not feel as nice as Boxwood but as long as you don’t go to the bargain basement end the steel will still be perfectly good enough. Most people including me use Stanley planes, they need a little bit of fettling up but are perfectly good enough and reasonably priced. Ian

Lijongtao; coming back to the shellac, I tend to use this a lot just brushed on as well. I keep brushes just for that. (Round ones). I also use it for French polishing (French polishing is a method not a product; you buy shellac and then you French polish with it). I have a few different shellacs I make up - Blonde, Button and Garnet and they keep very well. I normally mix these to '2lb cut' which when converted to metric is basically 24gm flakes per 100ml meths.
This spreadsheet could be useful. It will save you doing the calculations for shellac dilution. Personally I would not use meths if I have an alternative.
Around me methyl alcohol is about £7 for 12 litres
2EF7AFC5-3343-408B-96FB-5128D875C738.jpeg

Back