BB/CC ? BB/CP ? Interior, Exterior plywood? Where to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillamb168

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a bulk deal on some cabinet-grade (but not necessarily prefinished with polyurethane) plywood for a number of projects. So I would like to know if any of you know, 1. which of the DIY stores is best for quality/value but not terribly expensive and 2. if there's a major difference between BB/CC Interior all-birch and BB/CC Exterior hardwood plywood? I found this site :
http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/18mm-x-12 ... ywood.html
And that price is just hallucinatory, I can get 20 sheets for about 500 inc. VAT, which comes to nearly 1/3rd the price of what I can get at the pro supply stores around here. Ergo my thinking that I will rent a van and load 'er up with sheet goods and your delicious ales. But before I pull that trigger I want to do a bit of research. (Maybe pebbles you'd be interested in buying in on the trip?)

Also as an aside, that same website has 2x4 (50x100) structural pine at 3m long for 5£ !!!! The same board would cost me 30 euros here. Keeping the masons and cinderblock manufacturers in business takes some state intervention it seems...

the wisa twin from jewson may be worth a look- it is certainly cheaper than birch ply.

I have used the wisa ply in the past for some shop cabinets. In case you are not aware, it has a good birch face side and soft wood cores. the cores are quite tight with little in the way of voids but its difficult to obtain a smooth cut edge. Not an issue if you wish to attach hardwood edging but requires some sanding if you plan to edge band with tape. If left exposed more likely to chip out. It is a lot lighter than hardwood birch ply but the price reflects this.

I guess it depends on the projects you are undertaking.

David

Bluekingfisher":o34ygqhn said:
I have used the wisa ply in the past for some shop cabinets. In case you are not aware, it has a good birch face side and soft wood cores. the cores are quite tight with little in the way of voids but its difficult to obtain a smooth cut edge. Not an issue if you wish to attach hardwood edging but requires some sanding if you plan to edge band with tape. If left exposed more likely to chip out. It is a lot lighter than hardwood birch ply but the price reflects this.

David

Cabinet carcasses mainly. We are planning on installing compacted quartz for a countertop and that's a lot of weight, would I need to be worried about it holding up?

It seems that £60 is pretty average for decent BB quality 100% birch, and I guess as I want the kitchen to last a decade at least I should just bite the bullet...

phillamb168":3ta6zb9d said:
Bluekingfisher":3ta6zb9d said:

David

Cabinet carcasses mainly. We are planning on installing compacted quartz for a countertop and that's a lot of weight, would I need to be worried about it holding up?

It seems that £60 is pretty average for decent BB quality 100% birch, and I guess as I want the kitchen to last a decade at least I should just bite the bullet...

In that case BB would be my choice, although I do tend to err on the side of caution, $ screws when 3 would suffice kind of thing.

Bluekingfisher":25t04jrj said:

David

would you use it again, or only for similar purposes?

marcros":2fw3vl4l said:
Bluekingfisher":2fw3vl4l said:

David

would you use it again, or only for similar purposes?
Yes I would very much use it again. The surface quality is very good and I would not hesitate to use it for kitchen cabinets. Most of which are melamine faced chip board 16mm thick. So on that basis good for cabinets but if the poster wants top end then the BB would be slightly better.

David

Back