Bay window seat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife wants me to instal a seat into our bay window, nice and simple running straight across the opening. One complication, I can't fix to the walls as they are dry lined with very delicate plaster board. Also, the floor was infested with wood borers, successfully treated but they'd been munching away for a long time before sanding back the boards revealed their city.any thoughts?

Gotta be a freestanding bench or a settle then.
Boards should be OK if they haven't collapsed yet, but you'll soon find out and might have to replace one!

Boards are sound, more concerned about possible issues fixing to them to stop the thing sliding forward. Free standing will be ok, but what size timber would be best? Will 2x2 be sufficient? Sofas seem to be built from 2x1, 4x2 seems like overkill. What size ply is best for facing off?

Boards are sound, more concerned about possible issues fixing to them to stop the thing sliding forward. Free standing will be ok, but what size timber would be best? Will 2x2 be sufficient? Sofas seem to be built from 2x1, 4x2 seems like overkill. What size ply is best for facing off?
Depends on the design. I'd have a look at some benches or settles and copy one you fancy, to fit the space.
If you google freestanding window seat there are 1000s! freestanding window seat bench - Google Search

Last edited:
I would use plywood or MDF and face it with a frame and panel front or use the ply/MDF to imitate the same and paint it. Strong and simple to build and look good. The "box" doesn't have to follow the wall with it's acute angles. Just fit the centre and a lid to get to the storage under. Think blanket chest with a wider front. The triangles don't need to be supported on the hypotenuse if thick enough. Put some rubber feet on it and it should stay put but allow for pull out to clean behind and under. Nice upholstered cushion makes it inviting to sit on.

Pete

Latest posts

Back