Battery refurb or clone replacement?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarF

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone any experience of getting a battery cell replaced? The reason for asking is I've an 18V NiMH which no longer works. It's not had that much use, but the sporadic nature of my hobbying hasn't done it any favours. It's partner seems fine and the drill is too good to scrap in favour of Li ion. A Makita replacement battery is £££ so I'm debating whether to get a cheaper clone or send the battery away to have the cells replaced. Slightly kicking myself for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, as I bought just before seemingly everything switched to Li-- at the time Li was still way more expensive but maybe that was because places were just trying to shift old models out of the way.
G

When you say it no longer works will it take no charge at all? There are various methods posted online that purport to give NiMH batteries a second lease of life but many rely on them being able to charge at least a little bit.

Did you see the trick that you can do with NI-CAD batteries using a low powered welder?
I'm not sure if it can be done with all batteries like NIMH but an interesting video all the same.
Might be worth a shot if you can do the same with the type you have and they're kaput
Tom

[youtube]MUfxuOv0ZKg[/youtube]

It isn't doornail dead, but it triggers the bad cell/fault indicator on the charger and it won't take enough charge to do any actual work. When I googled replacement batteries the hits I got were mainly unbranded clones and several firms who strip and remanufacture old batteries with new cells for about half the price of a new branded unit.

I learned a lot from watching that video (I think its the one, don't have the time to watch it again)
If its talking about the hairs and that the satellites have them and the reason they work forever is they get the exact same charge because of the orbit
of them in space never differs.
Tom

About 5 years ago I got 2 replacement Nicads for my makita drill. Generic and off Ebay. Cost quite reasonable. Still going and also twice the amp hours of the origionals. Just read all the info and make sure they suit the drill model number of yours and also the charger.
I guess there is nothing to loose trying the welder trick. You may get lucky.
Regards
John

I bought the red flouron batteries off ebay for my makita. At half the makita price they worked well. 2 years on and the makita motor died, not the batteries.

Ttrees":369kg6cx said:
I learned a lot from watching that video (I think its the one, don't have the time to watch it again)
If its talking about the hairs and that the satellites have them and the reason they work forever is they get the exact same charge because of the orbit
of them in space never differs.
Tom

come again? :?:

A bit late seeing this...sorry.

I bought a replacement Floureon battery for my older Bosch drills. Works great and has changed from 1.5 amp hrs to 3 amp hrs. Would recommend.

I had a battery sent to a North Wales battery cell replacement company which was reputable. All cells were changed. Battery was fine and still works. Compared to Floureon prices the re-cell approach was the same price or slightly more.

YMMV.

Latest posts

Back