Battery powered respirators

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone have one of these? I have a good quality dust extractor but it doesn't catch everything, and my workshop can get quite dusty at times. I use a Martindale dust mask but I wonder if one of the battery powered filter'units would be a worthwhile improvement

John

Yes I use one all the time, its the old Racal "Airlite" its great, its getting a little old now & the headband broke last week so its being held together with tape at the moment as spares a thin on the ground :(

I have some eye complaints & even walking down to the shops with all the car fumes we have here the next day my eyelids are swollen up, whenever I wear the Racal mask for woodworking it keeps all the dust outside where it should be, I wear glasses & after 6 hours of creating all kinds of dusts I come indoors & have a look at my glasses & not a spec of dust on them, so its well worth the investment in one.

Like I said, I mainly have it due to sensitive eyes but its really good & stops you breathing in all those harmful dusts.

The only thing I wish is that I would have gone for the model where it has an offboard motor, it can be a little heavy on my head & you constantly hear a bee in your helmet which of course is the motor..

They are really good though,

Nick :wink:

Normfan,

I just can't let this one go without posting a reply.

You mean you do woodworking for a hobby, and when you do, you wear an all over, enclosed facemask type of arrangement with a fan motor on the top which as well as being heavy makes a buzzing noise as well????

I just can't believe that anyone gets any enjoyment out of working like this. Fair enough, if you're spraying laquers or pad sanding without dust extraction it's bound to be a necessary evil but I can't imagine that run of the mill woodworking on a hobby basis deems this sort of thing necessary!

Surely it's a bit over the top isn't it?

I wait to be corrected here mind you, and I'm not in any way having a go.Just seems one step too far in personal protection.

In fairness, you do say you suffer from eye problems so perhaps this is the only way. You must be really keen on this WW lark!!

Regards

hehe yeah it does seem over the top but if I dont wear it I can get some terrible eye problems as I really do suffer bad with them (bloody eyes!)

It might be newness but yes I do get pleasure out of woodworking, I like to be able to sit back & say "I made that" rather than "yeah I got it in Argos the other day" lol..

:wink:

Good on you Normfan!

After I posted that one I thought perhaps it was'nt really fair on you.
It's all very well for me, I don't suffer from these things. AND living in the sticks I don't get an eyeful of exhaust eevrytime a bus goes past. It must be murder for you!

I just couldn't help thinking of this image of someone working wearing one of these with motors on the top and buzzing noises!!!!!!!!!

Well you probally know what Tinitus is like as well!

All the best

Norm, I had the same problem when I wore the full face thing but I found it stopped buzzing when I turned off my light sabre :shock:

Lol..

Yeah after 6 hours or so of wearing it when I take it off its like the moment Darth Vador took his helmet off for the first time :shock:

At least it helps with my eyes & stops breathing in any dusts which cant be good for you.

Nick :wink:
Ps, Your not wrong there m8, it IS murder living so near London, today I had to drive into London almost as far as Kensington, god what a nightmare!!

I use a Trend Air Shield when sanding or turning- its not noisy compared to the machines. My workshop is a bit small (10x15) and I was begining to feel the effect of the dust on my lungs until I used the Trend.

Yep, you cant be too careful, who knows what it might cause in years to come.

When i started woodworking I thought about buying one of those things. After that I worked for a couple of woodworking firms. One of them used this type of mask in the sprayshop (except these were linked to the air compressor), and the other had battery operated models if you wanted one for machining. After wearing one all day every day for a couple of months whilst spraying, I never wanted to see one of the damn things again. Every time i go near one now,. I break out in a cold sweat thinking of days of 'goldfish bowl sindrome'.

Other than that i think theyre great.

Seriousely though, if they work for you, use them, but I would advise anybody thinking of buying one, to try one on first.

Doughnut

Back