Battery Drill Driver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryB

Reaction score
Hi.

The Battery Drill Driver saves an awful lot of time for me however, the other day, using just 15mm screws (18 of them) the battery was low and when it eventually ground to a halt I kept it held in place and gave it a 'tightening' twitch home. Now the drill no longer responds, even with fresh charged battery there is just no life at all.

Anyone knowing about the cause/problem and is there something I can do to revive it I'd be very grateful.

HarryB

I've just killed two drill drivers building my workshop, one rather old Bosch that took up smoking and a cheapo one that would work for a few seconds but only after it was dropped. Therefore I'm not the best person to ask but what I do know is that I picked up a nice new one (a Bauker) from tool station for about £50. =P~

Depends on the brand but most batteries don't like being fully discharged
Put a multimeter on the batteries and see how much they have In Them after a charge

tony_s":3vfhm5v3 said:
How the **** is a drill driver a hand tool?!!!
Great constructive post, well done.

Do you know what sort the battery is- nicd,nimh or lithium ion. It sounds a bit like it may have been discharged too much, or perhaps the battery is just old ?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

tony_s":1w2yrjxt said:
Yes, and in this instance trev, I'm getting 5

Don't let it keep you up at night, calculational disfunction affects 1 in 10 men at least once in their lifetime :wink:

Fair enuff. It just frustrates me that so many people including your dear self don't seem to understand what a hand tool is; that includes the mods on this forum since they seem happy to leave threads about power and machine tools in the hand tools section.
Simple fact is this: if it has an external power source (be that battery or mains) it isn't a hand tool. If a battery powered drill is a hand tool, then why isn't a corded drill. Why isn't a power planer. Why isn't a table saw, since you turn it on and off by hand?
Okay, so you tell me in so many words to get a life, but I come to this particular section of the forum because I want to read about, I dunno, sharpening a dovetail saw or spokeshaves or whatever not the ramblings of some (insert expletive) who thinks his aldi bandsaw is a hand tool.
Apologies for the foregoing and good night!

tony_s":1m9stlda said:
Fair enuff. It just frustrates me that so many people including your dear self don't seem to understand what a hand tool is; that includes the mods on this forum since they seem happy to leave threads about power and machine tools in the hand tools section.
Simple fact is this: if it has an external power source (be that battery or mains) it isn't a hand tool. If a battery powered drill is a hand tool, then why isn't a corded drill. Why isn't a power planer. Why isn't a table saw, since you turn it on and off by hand?

It would be easier if there was a power tool and machinery section to the forum wouldn't it! You'd definitely sleep better :lol:. Well, I think regardless of power source it's still a hand tool, Once it's beyond being able to easily lift it around and use it by hand it becomes a piece of equipment or stationary machinery. Powered tools I believe fall into this category would be your drills, planers, belt sanders, routers, multi-tools, circular saws, etc since they are designed to be used and easily maneuvered in the hand. What wouldn't fall into the category would be table saws, spindle moulders, bandsaws, JCB diggers, etc... Hand-powered tools or powered hand tools, they're still hand tools :D

tony_s":1m9stlda said:
Okay, so you tell me in so many words to get a life, but I come to this particular section of the forum because I want to read about, I dunno, sharpening a dovetail saw or spokeshaves or whatever not the ramblings of some (insert expletive) who thinks his aldi bandsaw is a hand tool.

Until the gods that be decide to put in a power tools and machinery section you'll just have to put up with it unfortunately, I don't pay any attention to whatever sections things are posted in anyway since I look at the newest post page.

tonys... out of order on several grounds I think.
before ranting at or about someone try looking up their profile.
harry b joined here in 2008 (you joined in 2017) in 11 years he has posted THREE times including the above (you have a 105 so far)

cutting some slack would be a nice move, even if it is with a power tool.

lol I don't get it tony, I am a self confessed hand tool woodworker, but I refuse to use an eggbeater drill, the power hand drill is a must have tool for me, it's the only power tool I use, I don't really see the problem, also even people like paul sellers uses one and most hand tool woodworkers.

thetyreman":2m0hihzq said:
lol I don't get it tony, I am a self confessed hand tool woodworker, but I refuse to use an eggbeater drill, the power hand drill is a must have tool for me, it's the only power tool I use, I don't really see the problem, also even people like paul sellers uses one and most hand tool woodworkers.
You're not understanding my point. I use a drill driver, have a whole bunch of power tools. I'm not saying that there's no place for a cordless power tool in what is primarily a hand tool workshop. I don't know if the OP even classes himself a a hand tool woodworker. My problem is that the hand tool category in this forum is constantly polluted by people posting threads about power tools and machine tools and for some reason (age, senility) it annoys the hell out of me.

Cordless drills, power planers, etc: very useful tools but they are power tools, not hand tools in the universally accepted sense and just because you can pick them up in your hand and there's no specific category for them on this forum doesn't make them so

This started off as a question about a battery drill... it's now plain boring! :lol:
Why forums end up like this is beyond most of us? #-o

That would work":3c63og11 said:
Why forums end up like this is beyond most of us? #-o

Usually, because of one whiney person that can't just simply ignore something they don't want to read :)

If the battery is NiCd and is dead it is possible to get life back in then.....google how to revive NiCd battery's and take your pick.

Jonathan

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Back