bathroom unit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graham

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks.
I'm about to have a go at making a bathroom unit/cabinet and was wondering what the best choice of timber would be? Obviously the humidity is the main problem and I would like to use ash or beech . Anyone any suggestions or horror stories?
Would any hardwood be ok as long as it is properly sealed?
Thanks in advance,
Graham

I would use ash rather than beech, it looks nicer and will probably stay a bit straighter with changes in humidity
I wouldn't worry too much about humidity if the bathroom is in a centrally heated house. Yes, it might get steamy in there but there will be plenty of time for it to dry out in between.
John

I have used beech for a bath side (3 raised panels), finished with danish oil and finally wax, and have had no problems so far. It's been in place for about 9 months now - looks great.

As John said I would not expect too many problems. I used pine about 5 years ago (one of my first projects!!) and it is still in use in my mums bathroom with no issues due to movement

Agree with Tony: I laid pine floorboards and put in a pine stand cum cupboard for the sink in our sons' bathroom (pine for reasons of cost...) Treated the whole lot with polyurethane yacht varnish: I did in part to see just how it would survive, and so far it's been fine. I would also steer clear of beech on this one it can warp like a maniac...

Cheers guys for the help...much appreciated.
Didn't know Egyptians walked like maniacs but then i don't know many!

Ho ho- if it moved like them, I'd have it all over the house...

What about cherry?

Seriously, I'm just starting on my bathroom (took the tiles down this afternoon in fact) and I'm planning to use cherry for the vanity -- 2000mm by 200mm by 20mm think for the top, cupboards under, concealed cistern toilet, semi-recessed basin etc. Top will be Corian, and the woodwork on the vanity will be sealed with satin varnish. I'm going to mount the bath taps and shower diverter on the vanity at the end of the bath -- the bath will fill through the overflow, and the shower head will magically appear out of the wall at the other end of the tub! That's the theory. It has to be finished by Christmas because the family is descending.......

Would have thought Cherry would be fine - however Cherry is popular at present (due to Norm et al. ??) and costs loads. Personally I don't use Cherry any more due to the high hit on price

Cherry has definitely gone up in price over the last 10 years, but I buy it for around £30-35 a cube, which compares favourably with some oak suppliers (and is only about 10% up on US prices).

Back