Bathroom Panneling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhrwilliams

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm re-doing a bathroom and the new bathroom walls will have timber panneling ( it used to have timber panneling too but mrs didn't like the style )

Anyway , old panneling was good quality pine with oil based paint .

I was toying with the idea to do the panneling out of WBP ply ( not marine ply as it's v expensive) and painting it.

Anyone have any comments if this will be ok or not - will it warp etc ?

I did our bathroom a couple of years ago and used MRMDF. I used this for several reasons but mainly stability, cost and quality of finish. I've never really been satisfied with the finish of painted ply, not without a ridiculous amount of prep anyway and also because I machined a bead and groove into the surface. So far it has held up perfectly.

HTH
Richard

I've done several with MRMDF and just routed Vees in it, also used the ready made sheets of beaded MRMDF both easy to paint and no caracking of teh paint at teh joints. Good quality softwood also looks good but get it inside to aclimatise and make sure you get a couple of coats on te back before fixing.

J

Thanks for replys.

I wanted to avoid MDF as I want it to look like wood .

I can use good quality softwood for frame but the thought of glueing up that many panels makes me wince.

Do you think a plywood pannel would wrap or move ?

It's still a wood product so the chance of movement is quite real.

If intent on using real timber why not use poplar? ( Tulipwood) it's likely to be kiln dried, more resilient to movement, if properly protected and not much more expensive than softwood/redwood.

You also have to consider it being a bathroom the moisture in the air is going to be high, so you may need to consider carefully where and how you glue up your panels. Be sure to leave plenty of room for expansion.

David

You can buy pre groved mr mdf. We have it in our downstairs Wc and never had an issue. I know a bathroom will have more moisture but I'm sure it will be fine.

Latest posts

Back