Bathroom mirror/cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomashenry

Established Member
Reaction score
Getting to the final stages of my bathroom mirror cabinet. The cabinet is recessed into the stud wall for a sleek miniaml look (that's the idea anyway!), and I decided to make the door frame out of thin stock, so that the whole thing looks more like a mirror hung on the wall, rather than a cabinet.

It's all made of oak, some from leftover flooring, some salvaged from some ikea cabinet doors, and some spare from another project. The cabinet is very simply made with rebated butt joints fastened with screws - as it's all hidden within the wall I didn't bother with any real joinery there. The shelf is held in by a stopped dado.

Door is made with bridle joints in the corners, and two rebates cut on the back of the stock to accept the 4mm mirror, and 6mm plywood backing. As the frame is made of stuch thin stock, the mirror has been fixed into the rebate with a solvent free mastic like adhesive, to give the whole thing the rigidity it needs. Held by some leftover brass butt hinges, left over from my kitchen job - black ones of the quality I wanted were crazy money.

All that's left now is a tiny bit of planing around the door to even up some of the gaps, then a sand down and application of some finish - probably osmo top oil.

All done with hand tools only, and very enjoyable it was too.

Attachments

• IMG_5587.JPG
    IMG_5587.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 811
  • IMG_5588.JPG
    IMG_5588.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 811
  • IMG_5590.JPG
    IMG_5590.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 810
  • IMG_5591.JPG
    IMG_5591.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 811
  • IMG_5592.JPG
    IMG_5592.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 811
Very swish! If I'd done that I'd have spent about a half hour opening and closing it thinking 'Ooh look, it's like a mini-Tardis!'

Hi,
Have you considered using concealed barrel hinges and a push to open catch?
I think those would provide a cleaner look without giving away the fact there's a "secret" cabinet.

Yeah, I did think about that. Ultimately though, I've not used those Soss hinges before and wasn't confident in either fitting them (they look fiddly), or their long term ability to hold the door. I might well be wrong! Butt hinges are tried and tested and something I'm confident working with. For the opening mechanism, I was quite keen to have a black finger pull, I think they look nice.

Back